Ch 13.) My Dearest Friend Angelica

Angelica!

                   After receiving your last letter I had gotten some news. Some of it less than favorable. John Laurens has received a letter from his father. He had kept this news hidden from me. I had found out from Alexander.

                     Angelica I write to you my friend broken hearted. I write with tears clouding my eyes. Even as I write i can feel my heart breaking.

                       Alexander had confronted me about kissing John, He was saddened at this news despite the fact I thought he would be happy that I would have someone he considered a good friend to take care of his sister. The letter from Mister Laurens...John is engaged to be married. An arranged marriage with a woman who corresponds with him every week.

                     How could he act as if we could make it out of this mess together? As if he could get out of this marriage? His father's approval matters more than anything in this life. He even had the nerve to ask me to the Winter Ball! How I wanted to cave at the sight of those eyes begging me. If I were a weaker woman I would've fallen to my knees helpless and said yes at once. But I knew I had to stand my ground and tell him what I knew. He looked so heart broken. He looked as if I had killed a kitten

                     Oh! Angelica! Washington agreed with your father! We are on our way Uptown as I write this letter.

                      What do I do about Laurens. My heart aches at the very thought of him. I can never erase the feeling of his lips on mine and how he has a special smile he seems to reserve for me. I love him, but I feel as if I have to let him go. Give him a chance to be happy with this woman. I guess he was never mine to lose. Why regret what cannot be....

                       I can not wait till I see you and your sisters....In the meantime, Hopefully I can forget about How I feel for John Laurens.

                     Respectfully Yours,

                                                             Giovanna Faucette Hamilton