Ch 20.) The Ten Duel Commandments

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9...It's the Ten Duel Commandments

Number one; Laurens privately challenged Lee to a duel. The man accepted with a malicious grin. After Laurens had spoken to Lee. John walked back over to me and I tried to reason with him...Until Lee made his way towards us.

"Don't worry Sweetheart. I'll make sure his death is quick. Then you can spend your time with a real man." He sneered.

I tried to launch at the man but was held back by John. I struggled in his grip. Glaring and throwing out obscene words till the man faded from my sight.

"I'll defend you too Gia," John promised.

We knew Lee would never apologize to the General nor I. So we knew what had to be done.

Number Two; John approached Alexander later that afternoon and asked him to be his Second. While we all knew the answer we still had to follow structured rules. Heaven forbid John be shot and killed, I trusted my brother to jump in his place and get the vengeance we would deserve.

Number Three; It was time for Alex and Lee's second to meet and try to negotiate a peace. Or more likely a time and place.While most disputes died we knew Lee was a stubborn man. We were surprised when Burr walked to meet us.

Number four; Like we knew. We did not reach any peace with Burr. We grabbed a doctor from the med tent and a set of pistols. One for Alex, one for John. I gave the doctor some money so he would turn his back. Deniability.

Five; Duel right before dawn. Somewhere on high ground and a dry area so they would find your body.

Number six; John Gave Alex a note for his father and for Martha, just in case Lee were to kill him in this duel.

"You've got this," I encouraged.

He gave me a self ensured smile and we made our way to the dueling grounds.

Seven; I saw John looking to the sky. One last chance to confess your sins. My stomach churned full of nerves. I can't imagine what was going through my dear friends mind. Johns gaze turned dark and angry when Lee and Burr approached.

Number eight; our last chance to Negotiate. Burr met with Alex so they could try to smooth things over. I stood vigil to make sure no blows were exchanged.

"Alexander," Burr greeted.

"Aaron Burr, Sir." Alex said shaking the man's hand

"Can we agree that duels are dumb and immature?" Burr questioned.

"Sure," Alex shrugged. "But your man has to answer for his words Burr,"

"With his life we all know that's absurd!" Burr scoffed.

"Wait a minute. How many men died because Lee was inexperienced and ruinis! Not to mention he had some choice words for my sister I would like to see him bleed for."

"Ok, so we're doin this," Burr said, a glare on his face.

Number nine; I watched in fear as the man turned their backs on each other and paced. 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...

"Ten Paces, fire!" Burr and Alex shouted. They shot. The sound ringing in my ears. I heard the sound of a bullet piercing flesh and I couldn't look to see who had shot who.