Ch 59.) blow us all away

I stood in Alexander's study, Adrienne on Alex's hip, tugging gleefully on his hair.
"Uncle Alex!" She squealed as he tickled her.
While Alexander and I were still barely speaking to one another I would never deprive my daughter of something she wanted. And today she wanted to spend the day with her uncle.
I jumped when the front door slammed and footsteps thundered up the stairs.
"Pops! Aunt Geeg!" Philip called.
Alex set Adrienne down
"Adrienne, why don't you go play with Little Angelica in her room." I smiled brightly.
"Okay Momma!" Adrienne giggled, her brown eyes sparking, and her curly hair bouncing as she ran out the door.
Philip bust through the doors, breathless and wide-eyed.
"Pops, if you had only heard the shit he said about you and Aunt Geeg! I doubt you would have let it slide and I was not about to—"
"Slow down!" Alexander stressed.
"I came to ask for advice. This is my very first duel. They don't exactly cover this subject in boarding school." Philip laughed nervously, running a hand through his hair.
"Duel! Philip what-"
"He called you a whore Aunt Geege! He called Pops a scoundrel!" Philip hissed.
"Did your friends attempt to negotiate a peace?" Alexander asked calmly.
I looked at my brother in disbelief. Was he really supporting this! This was his baby!
"He refused to apologize, we had to let the peace talks cease."
"Where is this happening?" Alex asked.
"Across the river, in Jersey." Philip explained.
"Everything is legal in New Jersey," We all laughed.
"Alright. So this is what you're gonna do: Stand there like a man until Eacker is in front of you. When the time comes, fire your weapon in the air. This will put an end to the whole affair." Alexander said, walking over to his mantle and stared at his pistols.
"B-but what if he decides to shoot? Then I'm a goner!" Philip asked, biting his lip.
"Don't do this Philip! Please!" I begged. "Will you both just listen to me!" I cried.
The duel between John and Lee flashed across my vision. The worry I felt then constricting my chest and the fear I felt then coming back even worse at the thought of my own flesh and blood.
"No. He'll follow suit if he's truly a man of honor. To take someone's life, that is something you can't shake. Philip, your mother can't take another heartbreak."
And as usual the men in my life ignored me.
"Father--" Alexander cut his son off.
"Promise me!" Alexander stressed, gripping Philip's shoulder. "You don't want this young man's blood on your conscience."
Philip took a deep shaky breath.
"Okay, I promise."
Alex took his pistols down from their hangar and outstretched them in a shaky grip.
"Come back home when you're done. Take my guns. Be smart. Make me proud, son."
Philip nodded and ran out.
"Alexander! What the hell are you thinking!" I screamed.
"He'll be fine Giovanna," Alexander sighed, sitting at his desk.
"Alexander! That is your baby! He is your child! How can you send him off to his death!" I snarled. "Eaker will fire!" I hissed.
"You don't know that."
"Yes I do! You are sending your child to the slaughter!" I laughed in disbelief.
"It's done Giovanna. He'll be fine. He will come home. You need to stop worrying."
"If you are not going to save your child then I will! Watch Adrienne!" I snarled, whisking out the door and heading for Weehawken. I ran to the barn and lept onto Geisha. I urged her as fast as I could. I made it to the dueling ground as soon as they started counting. My heartbeat in time with their counts. I watched Philip aim his pistol at the sky and Eaker raised his at Philip.
1.2.3.4....5...6
I lept and pushed Philip out of the way at the count of seven. I felt a bullet lodged in my side. I let out a blood curdling shriek and fell to the ground.
"Aunt Geege!" Philip cried, rushing to my side.
I watched as his hands hovered helplessly over my wound.
"Coward!" Philip screamed.
I assumed Eaker ran as soon as he saw me fall and not Philip.
"P-philip," I stammered.
"Aunt Geege!" He sobbed.
"Go get your father," I forced out through clenched teeth.
"I don't want to leave you!" He whimpered as the doctors lifted me to get me to a sterile area.
"I'll be fine. Auntie Geege isn't---" I sucked in a sharp breath as the doctor pressed his coat to my wound to stop the bleeding.
"Mister Hamilton, please hurry and get Your father." The doctor begged.
Philip nodded and kissed my forehead. I heard Geisha Bray as Philip urged her on back to Manhattan as fast as he could.