Ch 43.) A Vacation

"I just don't understand why you have to leave again," Alexander grumbled as I packed my suitcase.

"Alexander, it's just for three weeks. I promised Mrs.Washington I would visit!" I sighed, turning to face him with my arms crossed.

"I just dont want you going alone," He tried arguing.

"I am more than capable of handling myself Alexander James," I said glaring at my little brother.

He looked down at the ground and I moved into his personal space.

"I love you, but I need to do this." I said softly.

He muttered something under his breath.

"Im not the floor Alex, I didn't quite hear that."

"I just don't want you to replace mom,"

I wrapped my arms around him and squeeze tightly.

"I would never do that. I just need to get out of the city...The office...I haven't even visited Johns grave since i've been home." I said, "I would never try to replace the wonderful woman that our mother was, with Martha Washington," I promised.

"I know..." He sighed. "Angelica wanted to speak with you before you leave...I suppose I should let her,"

I smiled at my baby brother and pulled him into another hug, releasing him as Angelica swept into the room.

"Angel..." I said refusing to look at her.

"Running away won't help anything." She said.

"I'm not running away!" I scoffed.

"Fine, you're avoiding him then,"

I groaned and sat on my bed. Why did I tell her that my Thomas had turned out to be Jefferson.

"I just can't stand to look at him right now. He hurt me angelica...Even if he thought he was protecting me, that farce he had committed killed me. How can I still love him?" I questioned my eyes filling with tears.

"Love never dies my dearest Giovanna. Regardless of broken hearts, love endures." She said, sitting beside me.

"Helpless...i'm not used to feeling this way," I laughed.

"Get away from the city..." She said finally agreeing with me. "Clear your head, forget work, Alexander, even me. Just be Giovanna, in a place where no one knows you...Just be" she said tossing an arm around my shoulders and hugging me.

"I knew there was a reason you're my best friend." I teased.

"Im amazing, I know," She said pulling me to my feet and leading me to the carriage.

"Three weeks. I'll be home before you guys can miss me!" I teased, kissing Phillips cheeks.

"Three weeks," Alexander echoed before closing the door.

I took a deep breath, sighing as my family faded from view...Just be, Giovanna. Just be...