Chapter Three- An odd dream

The Grand Prince's gardens were quite enviable as they housed beautiful plants found specially from all over the kingdom. Tae Jun was showing off his garden to Chun Hwa, pointing out some of the rarer plants.

He was dressed in a light green dopo (over-coat), with a matching dark green baji (pants) and dapho (vest). Both were intricately and expensively tailored, with pink and white embroidery, and he wore a pair of taesahye on his feet. 

He seemed every bit like the Prince he was, without a care in the world. But Chun Hwa wasn't fooled. Tae Jun openly showed a lazy, carefree, womanizing Prince to the world most times, but that was all an act. Right now, he was simply making it clear that he and Chun Hwa were close, so no one would question his sudden visit...

.

The last time Chun Hwa had come here, Tae Jun had taken him to the gyobang, the Gisaeng house, introducing him to everybody as his sworn brother. Then they had proceeded to display their carefree and womanizing natures. 

The real Tae Jun, however, was calm, precise and clever. He had mastered the art of stealth, disguise, and several combat skills. He was also an avid reader and his genius put most scholars, except Chun Hwa, to shame. Chun Hwa was sometimes scared of him. He did not seem to have a weakness.

Tae Jun interrupted his thoughts.

"Chun Hwa-ah, which of your two guards do you think is strongest?" Tae Jun asked, genuinely curious. He had asked this after he had led them considerably far away from the guards and servants, the only person around them, Min So Yeon, who was Tae Jun's trusted aide.

Chun Hwa thought about it a moment, then answered.

"I would say- probably the older one. Lee Ju Won. I heard he is a favourite of Kim Dae Hyeon. The younger one is talented, but careless." 

"Hmmm. That's probably the case." Tae Jun said seriously. "I would like to spar with both of them."

"Really?" Chun Hwa mildly asked. He stopped in his tracks and Tae Jun turned to face him. He continued. "Not that you cannot handle them, but I think you've been too cooped up in the Capital. You're bored. It's been almost four months since you left. Maybe you need to go on an adventure."

"No, I really would like to fight them. Why don't we have a wager?"

Chun Hwa got suspicious. "Why the sudden wager? I don't trust your wagers." He replied with humour. "You always bring them up when you want something- I've not recovered from the last one."

"Ah, that your beautiful white horse! Don't worry... I'm still taking care of him well."

"Don't remind me..." Chun Hwa acted faint and they both laughed, then he asked. "What's the point of wagering with you? You're not even adorable, you always win. I'm almost afraid to ask what you want this time." He resumed walking, Tae Jun fell in beside him.

"How about I make it easy for them to win? If I win however, your engagement... cancel it." He kept walking as if he had not just said something surprising. 

"What?" Chun Hwa exclaimed, surprised. "Tae Jun-ah!" He had stopped, not sure how he should react to the request. He did not want the marriage, but he had made a deal with Lord Kim. "Why do you want me to cancel my engagement?" He asked him. For as long as he knew Tae Jun, he never did anything without a good reason. Tae Jun stopped as well, facing him.

"It's the right thing to do. You don't want this wedding." He paused. "Last night, you said you would leave her alone and live in the Capital as a bachelor, chasing after knowledge. Such a marriage will only-." He paused suddenly, as if realizing he was about to voice something private. He looked away and quickly straightened his worried features. "You know I must have a good reason, so how about it?"