Chapter Fifty One- The Dead

Lord Choi's residence, Gwang Guk...

Lord Choi knew something was wrong almost immediately.

The paper lantern that was always lit in his late wife's hanok was off.

His marriage had not been a love marriage, but he had truly respected his wife...

Older than him by a year, she had seemed to have all the answers.

Confident and never really afraid of anything, except for one fear which always amused him.

She had been afraid of dark places.

She had left the world after birthing their son, so he had arranged for a paper lantern, a new brightly coloured one each night, to always be lit in her chambers.

Its absence was too glaring.

"Who is out there?" He called out, but there was no response.

Another odd sign.

"Who is there?!" He called out once more, but again, he was met with silence.

Lord Choi had never been a fool in his life.

Even in situations that confused most young men, he had always been sure, tackling each situation calmly and correctly.

It was almost as if he had an unnatural ability to read situations and prepare for them.

This is why he was so certain that something was wrong.

.

Under his King's orders, he had sealed the document allowing Sang Yoo Jin to become King, but Sang Yoo Jin was no fool.

He must know those of the Ministers that had never given their loyalty to him.

Expecting something like this eventually, was only common sense.

Choi Yung Seon had expected death from the moment Sang Yoo Jin took the throne.

However, that didn't mean he would die easily.

He intended to die on his own terms.

He dropped the brush gently and stood up, quietly reaching for his sword.

He hadn't handled a sword seriously in a long while, but he always kept one close.

Now, he felt the familiar comfort as his fingers closed around the hilt...

.

The men moved swiftly and silently, through the compound.

Dressed in black yungboks, they blended into the shadows, killing the compound guards easily.

Min Seo Jin watched them, perched silently on a wall.

He had been surprised to receive the order asking to eliminate Lord Choi Yung Seon.

He had always respected Lord Choi, but he had his orders and he had no intention of hesitating.

The men had reached Lord Choi's own chambers, when he raised an arm.

They halted at once.

"Who is out there?" He heard Lord Choi call out.

He called out again, then fell silent.

Min Seo Jin smiled to himself. Lord Choi had not disappointed him...

He knew they were here.

He leapt down gracefully from the wall, coming to stand right in front of the door.