Chapter Five- Blue Bird

Lord Kim's Residence...

Kim Dae Hyeon fumed silently, furiously writing letters in his chambers. It was the night Da Yeong and Ju Won had returned with Chun Hwa from the Capital.

Lord Kim was still angry at the broken agreement between he and Lord Choi's son, and he had unleashed his anger on Da Yeong and Ju Won, berating them for being careless. 

"Of all the irresponsible things you have done, this is the worst!" He had told them. Of course, it did not match his disappointment in Choi Chun Hwa.

Then again, he had never really believed it would be that easy...

Da Yeong was stubborn.

He sincerely believed that she had willed the Heavens against this marriage.

'Still, to have the wedding cancelled for such an embarrassing reason...' He thought to himself. 'And I have to get her married before she turns eighteen! Why can't she understand this?!' He sighed, dipping his brush into the ink pot.

'Then again,' He reminded himself. 'I can't tell her why it is necessary...' He had hidden the truth from her. The truth surrounding her birth...

"Aigoo..." He finished addressing the letter he had been writing, pressing his seal to it and rolling up the scroll...

Then an idea popped into his head.

He hastily reached for a new, expensive piece of paper.
He was writing to the Palace...

.

Lord Kim Dae Hyeon's training grounds, the next day...

       Da Yeong stabbed the training dummy angrily, scattering debris everywhere. The memory repeated itself in her head. How her father had told her this morning about what he had done...

...

"I have sent a message to Jeonha, offering you as a bride for Daegun."

"Abeoji! (Father)."

"Stop it right now! Since he destroyed your engagement, he should be responsible. You should also pay the price for bringing an embarrassment to the family."

"Abeoji~~."

Enough! You should prepare for marriage now..."

...

Da Yeong snapped out of her thoughts, facing the dummy with a renewed focus. She slashed at it over and over again, unleashing the full extent of her anger on the training dummy.

"Heol. I almost feel sorry for Daegun." Ju Won stated, easily catching the next swing of her sword. "This guy won't give you the satisfaction," He nodded at the dummy, "So spar with me instead."

Blades crossed, they circled each other, then she ducked suddenly, spinning in a wide arc to slash at his legs. He jumped, almost effortlessly, bringing down his own sword. But she rolled away, to a safe distance, standing up to face him. Then she stabbed the sword into the ground.

"Tch! There's no point in sparring with you... You always win."

"Ani. I win when you get careless. Like now..." He was behind her suddenly, but she yanked her sword out just in time, blocking his attack. Still, her sudden defence was weak, and she couldn't block his next attack.

"Ya, Hyeong-nim~~" She whined, when she felt the sword at her throat. "That's cheating!"

"Don't you know enemies cheat?" He withdrew the sword. "Besides, we shouldn't spar with real swords. I wanted to end it quickly, before Master comes back."