Chapter Fourteen- Dreams and Reality

The Temple was extremely quiet when they arrived. The disappearance of the Silent Monk seemed to confuse the other monks and the temple servants.

The four of them got in easily enough. As Tae Jun had said, they blended in perfectly, drawing no attention. 

Inside the temple, they made an open show of seeking the Head Monk out and asking for spiritual advice on everyday matters. 

From spiritual matters, Tae Jun began discussing with the Head Monk, asking about life in the temple, and how it was like being a monk. He constantly pulled Ju Won into the conversation.

Then, seeming exactly like a curious young noble, Tae Jun had charmingly brought up the rumours of the missing monk.

"Thinking about it simply gives me goosebumps." He acted out the cold and shivery gesture, which was a norm. "I mean, why would he simply vanish? Right, Ju Won-ah?"

"Ye, Hyeong. It is strange, no matter how you look at it." Ju Won hoped he had been responding smoothly. He finally realized why Daegun wanted him in this role...

Min So Yeon would never smile or laugh, unless he found something really funny. Generally, he would be too stiff...

.

The Head Monk suddenly found himself the center of attention for two wide-eyed nobles. Nobles never really talked to monks, except to seek advice, yet here were two richly dressed young men discussing freely with him.

Slightly flattered, he became more open with them, saying things he usually would not.

"I have been here longer than most, so I know a few things others do not know. The Silent Monk's disappearance is not much of a surprise to me." He paused here and looked at all of them.

"Monk Hwan, that was his name, came here suddenly, eighteen years ago. He seemed to be running from something. He was dressed as a Priest."

"Wow!" Tae Jun exclaimed, apparent wonder on his face. "He was a Priest?" Tae Jun knew Priests and Shamans were not so easy to find, but his surprised act was merely to make the Head Monk drop his guard and keep talking.

"I think so. And not just any priest. His robes were something we monks have only seen in books. He must be a Grand Priest or the descendant of one." He said wisely. "The previous Head Monk took him in, and he has been here ever since. He has never said a word."

"The old man must have really been running from something." Ju Won speculated.

"Yes. I think so too." Tae Jun said. "Who were the Grand Priests?" He asked the Head Monk.

"A Grand Priest was someone who had achieved the highest level of magical arts. They were the favourite consultants of past Kings. To prevent their powers being abused, past Kings usually assigned them to hidden or remote areas where they could not easily be found. They summoned them whenever their services were needed."

"Hmmm, the Silent Monk must have been very important wherever he was before..."

And so, they discussed for a little while, until it was natural enough to leave.

When they left the Head Monk, they deliberately got 'lost', going deeper into the temple. Here, they found it easier to overhear conversations.

They split up, going round the temple. Every where they went, someone seemed to be talking about the Silent Monk.

"Such a nice person. Never harmed a soul....."

"I wonder what happened to him...."

"I always felt strange in his presence... It was like he could read every bit of me....."