​Chapter Forty Eight- A Dark Ritual

The Northern hidden temple...

Yoo Chung Jae knelt in front of his father, who was looking away from him in disbelief and annoyance.

"Abeoji, please-."

"Bad fellow!" Yoo Han Ho hit his son's shoulder with the bottom of his staff. "Bad fellow! Bad fellow!  Nine generations of priests in this family, I'm the one with a son who has no magical talent, and whose irresponsible actions tie me to the throne!"

"Jeosonghamnida, Abeoji-."

"What were you looking for outside? Why didn't you tell your Abeoji?! You wanted to learn the sword? Use that same sword of yours to kill me!"

"Abeoji, please! I don't know what Jeonha requires of you." He bowed. "However, if you don't do what Jeonha wants, we will both be killed. I know this. Why not take Jeonha's hand and escape our fate? Why must we remain hidden away here?"

"Ha! Aigoo! Bad fellow!" He hit him with the staff again. "Chung Jae Omma!" He shouted toward the high ceiling. "Where did such an irresponsible child come from?" He looked back at his son.

"Ima, do you even know what Jeonha wants? The deities who have always come here, talked to us and kept us company, Jeonha seeks to destroy them! And in doing that, this whole kingdom will come to ruin!" He shouted at him.

Was this the fate that had been hidden from him?

He was to play a part, not for the deities, but against them?

He didn't want such a fate.

He stood, bending and grabbing his son's shoulders.

"Chung Jae-ah. Pack some things. We are going far away from here!"

But Chung Jae forced his hands away, gently grabbing his own shoulders.

"Abeoji! Jeonha is not foolish. He sent me back, but I know he didn't send me alone. He must have considered the possibility that I will escape with you. There will be soldiers watching our every move." He had sensed them a few times, so he was certain of it.

Soldiers had followed him home.

Yoo Han Ho collapsed unto the bench in defeat.

He detested the situation, but deep down, he knew he didn't have a choice.

Chung Jae was someone he couldn't afford to lose.

He stood up and went away in defeat, leaving the boy kneeling there.

Chung Jae watched his father leave, choosing to remain in his position, knowing he would remain there till the next day.

It had always been his form of repentance.

If what his father said was true, he was truly sorry to the deities.

And yet, the thought of dying, when he hadn't achieved much in life...

When he was so close to one of his dreams...

But more importantly, he wouldn't be the only one to die.

His father would die for his mistake...

If he had to choose between his father and the deities, he already knew the answer.

Chung Jae wasn't letting his father die.

.

The Eondoeg Mun Palace...

Sang Yoo Jin had almost lost hope in the plan, when news of the deities reached him.

"Jeonha! The deities have entered the Palace, and have taken Fourth Prince out of Prison!" The panicked guard reported to him.