Chapter Seventeen- Lord Paran

​Chapter Seventeen- Lord Paran

Chun Hwa opened his eyes. Instantly alert, he jerked up, but found himself restrained, as an arm flew across his chest. At that same instant, he felt the sharp pain from his side and plopped back down to the bed, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Chun Hwa-ah. Chun Hwa-ah!" Tae Jun shook him gently. "Are you ok?"

Chun Hwa opened his eyes, surprised, at hearing Tae Jun's voice. He stared at him for a full minute, then looked round the room.

"Ya Ima! Don't tell me you lost your memories, or something." Tae Jun interrupted him.

"What am I doing here?" He asked after a while. He tried to move again, but the sharp pain made him give up. He had a headache.

Chun Hwa was about to ask why he was in this state, when the memories came flooding back. He sat up abruptly again. He winced in obvious pain, but he ignored it and faced Tae Jun.

"Tae Jun-ah. Some people are trying to kill Jeonha! I overhea-."

"Ye, I know. You have told us about it several times already." Tae Jun cut him off, gently pushing him back down to the bed. "You were stabbed and it is not healed, so be more careful. The physician said no sudden movements."

"But-."

"You arrived here three days ago. You have been slipping in and out of a fever." He placed a wet rag on Chun Hwa's forehead and continued. 

"Each time you woke up, you repeated the same thing. 'People are trying to kill Jeonha'. I sent a message to Appa Mama that very day, and I return to the Capital in two days. Besides, Appa Mama is not so easy to eliminate."

Chun Hwa sighed in relief, visibly relaxing. He had made it on time. He remembered struggling to reach here, hoping he would not be found. After reaching Lord Kim's gates, he did not remember anything.

"I have been here for three days?"

"Tsk tsk tsk. Your impulsive, adventurous spirit will be the end of you." Tae Jun said, shaking his head. "Me and a few men went to investigate the hidden temple. Even without an attack, that place is dangerous.

"Last time, you went with Kang Seo. Why did you go alone this time?" Kang Seo was Chun Hwa's guard. Tae Jun continued.

"Lord Choi and the scholars have been worried, but they can't openly say anything or show it. If news spreads that you are injured, your attackers will realize who you are."

"The scholars found out?" Chun Hwa asked. He was the leader of the Nam Guk scholars.

Being an extremely young leader, he tried to hide all forms of weakness from the scholars, because despite his obvious skill as a scholar, most thought he had obtained his position because of his father.

"Don't worry. The scholars are fully on your side this time. They take it personal when a scholar gets attacked. Rather, be more careful next time. Don't put yourself in danger carelessly!" Tae Jun's tone was sharper than he intended, but Chun Hwa merely scoffed.

"Aigoo! Why are you berating a sick person? What matters is that Jeonha has been alerted." He said, but he silently noted Tae Jun's face.

Tae Jun was good at hiding his emotions, but Chun Hwa had always been able to read him. There were bags under his eyes, his obvious worry clearly written on his face.

At least it seemed clear to Chun Hwa. Most people usually saw what Tae Jun wanted them to see.

"I'm sorry, Tae Jun-ah." He said. He did not like making Tae Jun worry. He knew Tae Jun hated the thought of losing anybody close to him.