​Chapter Forty Nine- White for Mourning

Chapter Forty Nine- White for Mourning

Yoo Han Ho hesitated before raising his hand. Before him were weapons, ordinary except for a single fact.

They were ceremonial weapons.

One was a sleek katana, the blade blacker than night.

Its handle was bound in black and red hide.

Another was a set of curved blades, words etched into their sharp edges.

The third and last was a large intricate bow and arrow; just one arrow.

Anybody who studied the priestly or shamanic arts, knew about these weapons, though they had never known their origin.

Only the ruling King could use them, or allow their use in anyway.

The ceremonial weapons were the only known relics that could harm the deities.

.

The power of the weapons was often brushed aside.

This was because the deities were inhuman, so it was almost impossible to harm them, ceremonial weapons or not.

Most priests or shamans preferred to pretend they didn't exist.

Yoo Han Ho had found out the origin of the weapons that morning.

"Take him to that place." Jeonha had said, and he and Chung Jae had been led to an underground chamber, deep in the Palace.

Here, the weapons had lain for many years.

"These weapons were made using dark magic." Seong Su Min had explained. "They were created by an unlikely being. The heavenly being who became the first Black Deity.

Yoo Han Ho had gazed at him in surprise.

How did one possess such knowledge?

Seong Su Min had continued.

"He created these weapons, using the blood of Eondoeg Mun's first King. They were used to kill the King's son, the original deity. The shadow that sleeps beneath this Kingdom."

"How do you know such things?!"

"That is not important. The heavenly being made just the sword, but in fear of the deities, the first King had the other two made to aid the sword."

Yoo Han Ho stepped back from the sword.

"What do you want from me?!" He demanded.

"These weapons have an interesting nature, especially the sword. They were made with dark magic, but they repel it." He tried to touch one, but it burned him. He withdrew his hand quickly. "That is why Jeonha needed a 'good' but powerful priest."

"What am I supposed to do with them?"

"Transfer a part of their energy to the wielders."

.

This was indeed the way the weapons worked.

Only those blessed by a priest could wield the weapons.

The more powerful the priest, the better, so Jeonha had chosen a Grand Priest.

Chung Jae had been selected to wield the sword, partly because he was talented, and partly because the King wanted to make sure Yoo Han Ho did the right thing.

If he performed the rite wrongly, his own son could die in the battle.

.

And so, Yoo Han Ho performed the rite on his son and two others, temporarily binding them to the ceremonial weapons.