Chapter Twenty Seven- Familiar Faces

​Chapter Twenty Seven- Familiar Faces

       The three eunuchs led them out of the hall into the night.

Chun Hwa had entered the Palace as a child, and once when he came for his announcement ceremony as best scholar.

Da Yeong and Hye Yeon, however, had never set foot in the Palace. 

Da Yeong had only ever been near the Palace once, when she and Ju Won had accompanied her father for Choi Chun Hwa's announcement ceremony.

The two of them had ended up waiting outside, as her father had ordered.

Now, both ladies where taking in the sights in awe.

"Wah!" Da Yeong exclaimed openly.

"Daebak!" Hye Yeon exclaimed as well.

They were both seeing complex and beautiful structures, which put Lord Kim's spectacular buildings to shame. 

The buildings were ornate, a wide array of beautiful colours and symbols in the roof and wall linings.

Each building had complex calligraphy, which was a bit difficult to read at a glance, across the top of the sliding doors. 

Beautifully designed lanterns hung at intervals, lighting the way.

The lanterns looked festive, and they wondered if they were usually there, or were lit for the King's birthday.

There were several majestic statues, including one of a huge dragon, which had almost sent Hye Yeon and Da Yeong circling it in awe.

Even more impressive, at least to Hye Yeon, were the beautiful trees and shrubs.

She mentally played a game, trying to identify the ones she had never seen or heard of.

The eunuchs, after years of training, were skilled at pretending such entertaining behavior was normal.

They silently led them on, through a maze of buildings (the three of them were sure they would never find their way without help- Chun Hwa had never been this deep into the Palace).

Then they came to a lone monstrous building.

The building looked plain and old, compared to the others.

It towered darkly over the rest, and there seemed to be an odd air of pride about it, even though it was old.

Across the top of the ancient looking wooden doors, a plaque read: Hall of the Kings.

"Jeonha instructed that you wait inside." One of the eunuchs said, and all three of them bowed, leaving without a word.

Da Yeong, Chun Hwa and Hye Yeon stood a little confused, staring after the eunuchs, and then back at the building.

They were sceptical, but after a few moments, Da Yeong gestured toward the old doors, and they carefully approached, climbing the ancient steps that led to them.

Chun Hwa pushed the doors open, and they all went in.

Bright light rushed out at them, as the chamber was brightly lit by a strange bluish light.

When their eyes adjusted to the sudden brightened chamber, they realized the light was emanating from a lot of carved stones, which were hanging on the walls.

"Luminescent rocks." Chun Hwa observed, studying a few of them.

They were rare, only growing deep within mountains.

"And the way they are set... Some seem a lot older than the others. In fact!" He was getting more excited as he studied the wall.

"The rocks get older as they move from one end of the room to the other!" He finished excitedly.