Chapter Twenty Eight- Memories

​Chapter Twenty Eight- Memories

The lake before Tae Jun was beautiful, not a ripple disturbing its clear surface.

The moon was perfectly reflected on its dark surface, adding a beautiful glow to the atmosphere.

Fireflies danced about, and the warm air hung with the scent of flowers.

He knew he must be dreaming.

"Orabeoni!" A voice called out, and Tae Jun turned to see the white-haired lady again.

He was slightly taken aback, as this was the first time she had ever said anything to him, or even spoken at all.

A veil covered the lower half of her face as usual, and again, she was dressed in a beautiful white hanbok, hairpins gleaming in her hair.

She seemed otherworldly as usual, but for once, she was looking right at him, like he could reach out and touch her.

Surprisingly, he was reacting to her presence or attention, as he thought he would have...

She was overshadowed, even in his dream.

The image of Da Yeong in her unique peach hanbok, or even in a yungbok, felt more powerful than this beautiful apparition.

He found himself worrying about Da Yeong again, but he faced the lady before him.

They stood face to face.

The vision, or dream, or apparition did not go away this time.

It appeared, whatever she was, she was ready to face him.

Good.

He had questions.

He wanted to know why he was having these dreams- or visions, and if she was actually Lady Hayan, the white deity.

He had always assumed she was, and he had even called her 'Hayan-ah' in the last dream, but now he wanted certainty.

He also remembered what Lord Kim had said.

Was she and Da Yeong the same person?

"Orabeoni's heart is somewhere else today." She stated, interrupting his thoughts.

"'Orabeoni'?" He smiled, despite himself. "You addressed me that way earlier as well... Why are you calling me something like that?"

"Ye? Is that what you really want to ask me?" Her voice was tinged with laughter.

"Who are you?" He asked after a pause.

"Orabeoni already knows the answer to that question." She replied simply.

"Tch! Calling me 'Orabeoni' again... Are you Lady Hayan? The white deity?" He asked.

He began to step towards her.

She still did not back away or disappear, but answered simply.

"Yes."

So his assumption had been accurate.

"What happened a hundred and fifty years ago? Why did you die? Why do you keep appearing to me? What is it that you want?"

He paused when she giggled.

A beautiful tinkling sound that made him remember the most delicate of music.

"The question is, Orabeoni: Am I appearing to you? Or are am I a memory that you keep calling to you?"

He lifted an eyebrow, studying her curiously, then smirked.

"I can only remember you if I once knew you. I think I was born a little too late for that." He joked.