Chapter Nine- Black and White

Still in the Past

.

The Sky Palace, after the meeting...

The King, Jang Yoo Jin, was angry.

His Eunuch, Eunuch Geum, kept a healthy distance between them.

"How dare they deny me?!" He asked no one in particular. "They even dared to tell me I was wrong!"

Eunuch Geum and the other servants bowed each time the King raised his voice. He was in a particularly bad mood since his meeting with the deities. Eunuch Geum knew why the King had summoned the deities, but he could not understand why the King had not expected their answer. Their reply was to be expected, in his opinion...

.

A few months ago, an ancient journal had been found by one of the King's handpicked shamans. The journal, which had been commissioned by a past King and written by a very popular historical priest, contained secrets about a hidden fifth gate beneath the Kingdom.

The fifth gate, was what the deities protected the Kingdom from. If the deities opened all their gates, then the fifth gate would be opened, unleashing what was within. The gate was said to contain an immense shadow, a very powerful being that represented the opposite of everything the deities stood for.

The journal had clearly stated the dangers of opening the hidden gate, but all the King had heard from his shamans was that, anyone who controlled the being behind the fifth gate, would gain power and immortality.

.
To convince the deities to do his bidding, the King's shamans had created a fake journal, which encouraged the opening of the four gates. The shamans had been ordered to lie about dreams they had had, which meant more good will come if the four gates were opened.

The king had presented these argument to the deities, after asking everybody but the magical body (priests and shamans), to leave the Government hall.

But the deities, were not fooled, after hearing all he had to say.

They accurately guessed his intentions and saw through his lies. Though they were young, they had the memories of the previous deities, who knew exactly what the four gates were guarding.

What was behind the fifth gate would destroy the world.

"It will only corrupt you completely." Lady Hayan had said to the furious King. "Let go of immortality and live the rest of your life peacefully."

"You were not meant to rule, but fate granted you a chance." Lord Paran spoke as well. "Do not reach for a power you do not understand, and instead, work to establish your great deeds in history."

"It is too late for Jeonha to become a Sage king (a king loved and almost worshiped by the people), but Jeonha should at least make an effort." Lord Geom Jeong spoke, making the king glare at him in surprise. He rarely spoke on such matters. In fact, Lord Geom had only spoken in his presence once, since his awakening.

Right now, he had spoken so calmly, that it nearly covered the insult behind the words.

"You-. did you just insult me?" Sang Yoo Jin was livid.

Geom Jeong bowed without hesitation.

"This humble servant apologizes for any unintended insult." Again he had spoken too calmly, with no sincerity behind his words.

At this point, the Sang Yoo Jin had nearly turned purple in anger. He looked into all their faces. Even Lady Chorok, who was usually the most cheerful, had a disapproving look on her face. He got up in anger, looking down on all of them. By right, he was King! They should obey HIM! He stormed out of the government hall without another word, leaving behind a stunned silence.