Chapter 30 Run&Hide

Their faces went slack and Nikki's mouth dropped open. I pulled my hair up, feeling completely wrecked and exhausted. My emotions were running all over the place, but the main one I was feeling was betrayal. My hands were shaking and John reached over, holding them still in his large ones. The touch brought tears to my eyes, making them shine silver.

"What the hell happened?" Nikki asked, coming to wrap an arm around my shoulder, pressing against my side, "Last night you were so worried about him."

"What happened last night?" John asked suddenly, a frown on his face.

Nikki saw that I couldn't say anything yet, my hands gripping John's tightly, "I went to Lila's and Phil hadn't come home yet."

"Didn't you go over there at like midnight?" he questioned, glancing from Nikki to me.

"He said he was going to his parents and then home to pick up a few things. I got worried when he didn't answer his phone." I explained, my voice thick.

"Why didn't you tell me?" John asked Nikki, "I would have come and sat with you, waited with you."

"I didn't stick around. I knew you guys would stop me." I sighed, resting my head on Nikki's shoulder.

"Stop you what?"

"Stop me from going out and looking for him." I admitted, closing my eyes.

"Lila you went walking around Chicago in the middle of the night by yourself? Do you have any idea what could have happened to you?!" John exclaimed, looking shocked and worried.

"I wasn't by myself." Not wanting to admit who I was with but knowing I would have no choice if I wanted John off my back.

"Who the hell were you with?" Nikki turned, looking at me, arms still around my shoulders.

"Ambrose." I said quietly, flickering between Nikki and John's eyes.

They couldn't have looked more horrified if I had said I went walking out with the devil himself. Nikki herself let out a little gasp, and John's face went red. He ran a hand over his head and Nikki blinked rapidly, trying to digest to name I just spoke.

"You guys are looking at me like I chose him to come with me. I didn't. He saw me walking and refused to let me go out on my own." I explained, frown at them both.

"Well I'll give him that at least he's not stupid." John scoffed, still holding my hand in his.

"Look I know I wasn't thinking straight last night but I didn't know what else it to do. It was one in the morning and he still wasn't back." I shook my head, pulling my hand from John's.

"Ok so how did that go to Phil sleeping with AJ?" Nikki asked, confusion coloring her face.

"He just got home before I got here. He tried to start apologizing. I just wanted to know why he didn't call or text. I asked him if he lied to me and he tried to. Then he admitted when he went to his house..."I trailed off, feeling the rise of emotion, "AJ was waiting for him."

"At his house?"

"She apparently tried to kiss him. And it took him all night apparently to convince her that he didn't want her." My voice shook slightly, anger drained out leaving only hurt.

"Oh." Nikki said softly, eyes widening.

"Ya. Oh." I nodded, putting my head in my hands, "The Authority really pulled out the big guns on me now."

"You think they put her up to this?" John asked, crossing his arms on the table.

"Sure it makes sense." Nikki spoke up, copying John, "Bring AJ back and suddenly Punk and Lila are at odds, leaving Lila on her own."

"So don't let them do that. Don't let them tear you and Punk apart. We're not even sure that anything happened between them. Only that Phil was out all night, and AJ was at his place at the start of the night." John winced when he realized how terrible that sounded.

"Ya not helping here John." I chuckled darkly, lifting up my head.

"Ok I didn't think that through but Lila. Talk to Punk. Get the full story and if you think he's lying than walk away. You of all people should know him well enough to know when he's lying." John suggested, taking my hands in his, "Don't let the Authority ruin another friendship for you."

I held his hands in mine as Nikki had her head resting against my shoulder. I was really glad Seth had brought me here. I was reminded to catch Seth later and give him a proper thank you. I knew John was right but I wasn't ready to face him just yet. I wasn't sure where I was going to stay but I knew if I stayed here they would constantly try to get me to talk to Phil. I would talk to him but when I was ready.

"I'm not I just need some time. Can either of you text him and see where he is?" I begged.

Nikki nodded, whipping out her phone and texting quickly. It was only a minute later it vibrated and she held it up. Her eyes flicked side to side quickly as she read.

"He's in the arena looking for you. I just told him that I saw you headed in there earlier but I didn't see you walk out. You got time to go and get your stuff." She smiled, finishing her text.

"I'm gonna go now than before he gets back." I jumped up, shoving all my stuff in my pockets, "I'll be back later sometime today."

"You're not staying here?" John asked, a puzzled look on his face.

"I can't. This will be the first place he will look after he can't find me in the arena." I shook my head, walking to the door.

Giving them a weak smile I walked out, checking either direction for people. Seeing no one I shut the door and headed out into the parking lot. I felt ridiculous sneaking between buses till I made it to the one I shared with Phil. Pulling out my keys I opened the door, sneaking inside. There was no one in there and I quickly ran to the bedroom, grabbing my suitcase. Throwing clothes in at random I took enough for a few days. Throwing my makeup and hair stuff I slammed it shut, zipping it up. I ran into the bathroom, grabbing my toiletries and attached the bag onto the case. My leather jacket went over my arm and I walked quickly through the bus. Opening the door I checked for anyone. Seeing the coast clear I set the keys on the table before locking the door and walking out. I walked away quickly, glancing over my shoulder. Just as my luck would have it Phil was walking across the parking lot, looking exhausted and hurt. I rounded a bus corner, bouncing off someone's chest. I cartwheeled my arms to keep me from falling out into sight. My arms were grabbed and I was yanked fully behind the bus.

"Well this looks incriminating." A deep voice chuckled.