The Truth Comes Out

Sang

My shoulder hurts so bad, I'm unable to concentrate on anything but the pain. My body feels hot and I'm getting sleepy. I keep my eyes closed and try to focus on something else. I hear my Mom yell, "Dad!" Then she says, "Those boys, from down the road, they... they're not human." Oh no, she knows... That's why they weren't in the car with us. Noises come from the other side of the living room but I can't make out what they are. Grandpa sounds bewildered, "June?"

I hear the front door slam open, then the screen one.

"I said to get away from us."

Mom? I open my eyes.

Grandpa gets up from his knees and hurries to the door while Grandma holds my hand.

"I'm sorry, I can't do that."

Sean?

There's suddenly a loud blast, causing me and Grandma to jolt. I look over at the door and don't see anything at first.

Then all hell breaks loose.

There's yelling and shouting, mostly from Mom and Grandpa. I can't make out what they're saying as they're yelling over each other. Grandpa comes storming in with a gun, escorting a bloody Sean.

Al

S***.

The blast rings my ears.

Seeing a man get shot brings back a quick flash of Vietnam.

I grab the gun from June and rush over to Sean, who's pressing a hand to his bloody shoulder. June starts yelling crazy words about wolves and s***. I'm now worried about my daughter's mental health. She just f***ing shot a man! I lose it and yell at her as I bring Sean into the house, the others following behind.

June rushes ahead of me and places herself in front of Sang like a guard dog.

I gently press Sean into a kitchen chair and set the gun on the table. "Are you out of your ever lovin' mind?!" I bellow at June. She just stands there, warily watching the boys and Joe as they spread throughout the kitchen.

Mary rushes over with the med-kit. now to be used on Sean. My poor wife's face is white as a sheet and covered in worry and confusion. I feel the same way, love.

I reach to help him remove his jacket so we can see the wound. His hand shoots out and gently grabs my wrist. "I'm fine, Al."

I look at him, incredulous. "What the hell, Sean, you've been shot! You're not fine."

He shakes his head and stands. "Yes, I've been shot. June is frightened and I don't hold it against her. I am fine though." He even gives me a damn smile.

I'm about to yell at him again when he holds up his hand. "I'll show you."

He removes his jacket and slightly winces with the motion. He then pulls his bloodied shirt over his head. I simply stare at the wound.

What the holy hell?

The skin around the wound is red and slightly puffy. The wound itself though, is closing before my eyes. He turns so I can see the exit wound doing the same thing.

What. The. F***.

I grab the gun and Mary's hand, backing up to the living room and putting her and my girls behind me. I raise the barrel of the gun. They all watch me as I do so.

June leans toward me. "Someone like them attacked Sang, Dad. He turned into a wolf. They're not human."

I swallow down my rising anxiety, calculating our chances of making it out of this. They're not good. June's right. They sure as hell aren't human. I straighten my spine, ready to go down fighting.

Sang's sweet voice reaches my ears.

"I'm not human either, Mom... "

Sang

My mom and Grandparents all turn to me. Grandpa still has the gun pointed to the kitchen.

"Sang?" Mom whispers, in a strangled voice.

I try to sit up, but my body feels so heavy. "I'm, I'm not human either... I'm like them... Or I will be... " My eyes droop and my tongue's thick, making it hard to talk. I feel myself slipping away. "Dad was a shifter... I am too... don't hurt them... "

My last thought is that I hope my family will still love me as sweet darkness takes over...