Another Wolf Pup

Silas

I don't want Ethan to feel like the bad guy, holding his son down, so I'm doing it.

Even though he's now a healthy and strong ten year old, it feels wrong to do, but we're worried he'll hurt himself or Holly, who refuses to leave the room.

His eyes are closed and his mouth forms a silent scream. He's about to shift. Shifting the first time hurts like s***. His back arches as I hold his arms. His eyes open in a flash and stare right at me. I'm shocked to see they're now a vibrant blue. He releases a painful breath and whispers "Silas?" before his eyes go black again and they close.

Dammit. My eyes burn. I can't stand to see the kid in pain. It's like he was asking me if he's going to be okay.

I clear my throat as his back bounces off the mattress one more time. his fingers digging into the blanket. "You're okay Finn, this is what happens when you shift the first time. It's almost over."

Ethan continues to stroke his son's head, a tight expression on his face, as Holly stands back where we told her to remain, her eyes riveted on her son. Sean's observing next to Ethan and Gabe's by Holly. Kota's probably keeping the other humans in the living room until it's safe.

I feel the bones in his arms crack under my hands and immediately release him, stepping back. This is it.

His body shakes and convulses and twists in a blur of shifting. Then suddenly, just as a couple nights ago, a new wolf is standing on top of Uncle's bed.

I release the breath I was holding and a big goofy smile spits across my face.

He's a good size for an immature wolf, really good, but he's also so f***ing cute.

Sean

Well, hell.

From start to finish, that was unbelievably fast. Much faster than Sang's awakening.

For a moment before he shifted, his eyes were a bright blue, like Gabe's. They probably would have always been like that, but being so sick his whole life brought a dullness to them before. I wonder if this means they'll be blue again now when he shifts back to human form.

Silas chuckles from the other side of him. I can't help grinning myself. Dang, he's going to be big! Maybe big enough to take on Silas once he's grown. It may mean he'll be big in human form too after he goes through puberty. We've never even seen a shifter go through an awakening so young. Normally it would be another four or five years. Finn's only ten!

His healthy, thick coat is multicolored with browns, grays, and white. The legs on the pup are gangly and long with huge platter-like paws, almost the size of Silas's already.

Ethan moves to the end of the bed to face his shifter son. He smiles at him and holds out his hand.

Without hesitation, Finn's wolf licks it.

I run a hand through my skewed hair and we all relax a bit. By god, it looks like something's finally going to go right.