it ain't fair

3 hours later

I was currently feeding the baby. I have to say breastfeeding was one of the weirdest thing ever! I really didn't know my boobs were capable of this until now— when there was a tiny infant literally sucking the life out of me. He was really hungry, after spending 9 months locked in my belly he would have been, he couldn't see since he was just born but whenever I spoke or Zayn spoke his head would make the slightest turn in that direction. He recognised mine and Zayn's voice.

Tricia was standing to the side of the room, refolding all of the baby's clothes whilst my mum was standing beside me smoothing the hair off my face. Zayn was busy unpacking the baby stuff from the bag. He was really happy and he kept kissing me and telling me how proud he was of me, of us.

And now I felt even worse because I was leaving all this behind, I had made my decision and I was going to miss my son the most. From across the room Tricia looked at me and I nodded, I was taking the deal, Zayn yet again was completely oblivious to it, he'd be mad.....at first but then I'm sure he would slowly learn to live with it.

My mum placed her hand on my shoulder and gave me a short squeeze whilst I turned to Zayn "Um Zayn, could you go get some of my medication." I said as Zayn looked up.

"Yeah sure, where is it?"

"The doctor said its in the far left wing of the maternity section." He nodded and smiled and placed his lips against mine. I closed my eyes and wanted to embrace this last final moment. My lips against his, maybe this would be our last time....ever. "Thanks." I mumbled as he left the room.

The plan was to distract Zayn whilst I left the hospital. Trying to get my medication at the pharmacy halfway across the hospital would take quite a while— especially with the long line. My mum had packed a small bag with all my clothes and I was going to stay at hers for tonight.

I looked down at the little bundle of joy in my arms. When I first found out I was pregnant I was heartbroken and really didn't know what to do with myself. But as time progressed I had grown to love this baby and I didn't want to leave it. I wanted to tell myself that this was only a temporary thing because I would find a way to reconnect and be back with my baby.

I didn't even come up with a name for the baby, i didn't have time to and now it was too late. He moved in my arms, pressing his face gently against the blanket he was wrapped in. I was amazed at his facial features, he looked so much like Zayn —like a baby Zayn. I'm sure if we matched him to Zayn's old baby photos they'd look like identical twins. He had chocolate brown eyes just like mine and Zayn's but a little dark and he had such little hair that it was matted to his forehead.

I held him close to me feeling my eyes well up with tears but I promised myself I wouldn't cry, I had so many hormones running through me but I would not cry—not at all. Instead I placed my son back in the hospital cradle and gathered my things.

"You got what you wanted now stay the hell away from my family." I said to Tricia before leaving that room.

~~*~~

Zayn's POV

"So I got these but I don't think its what your doctor prescribed." I said as I walked back into the hospital room only to see that Lexi wasn't in her usual spot on the bed, like when I left. My eyes moved to the glass box to see that the baby was still there and sleeping peacefully.

I shut the door behind me, her purse, her clothes, her presence —everything was gone. She could not have just gone to the bathroom. "Mum where's Lexi?" I asked turning to my mum who was tucking the baby in.

She turned to look me then walked over to the bed where she sat down "Honey i think you should sit down." she patted the spot next to her but I knew something was up, something just didn't feel right. And if my mums breaking the news to me then it defiantly wasn't right and she planned this whole thing.