Prom

I've missed a lot because I couldn't handle the pain of... of my brother being dead. I've alienated my friends and Rebekah, I don't even know what I was thinking with her. I killed an innocent girl because I felt like it.
"Hey you." Damon says interrupting my thoughts.

"Hey." I say turning to face him. "We haven't talked in three days."

"I was trying to give you space, I thought you would need it."

"What I needed and need right now is you. I've realised that I want to be with and I can't tell enough. I love you, Damon."

He walks over to me and smiles. "Are you sure this is what you want I mean your emotions will be all over the place right now?"

"I love you."

"I know, but maybe you just need time to figure some stuff out."

"I love you." I say putting emphasis on the word 'you'.

"Okay." He says and despite the horrible things I've done and the guilt I'm feeling about them. The love I have for him is way stronger and I'm enjoying feeling it again. Having no humanity is horrible. You think you're having fun but really you're just empty and trying to fill a void with whatever you can.

"This is the part where you put your arms around me." And he does. "Look before I say anything else I just want to tell you that I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"A lot of things. But most recently, for all the pain that I've caused, for hurting you and all the other people that I love and I'm sorry most of all for lying to you. For not telling you that I loved you when I knew that I did. I was a coward because I was afraid. I still am, loving you scares me but it also excites me. So I'm sorry. But maybe now we can give it a real shot because I love you and I see a future with you and I hope you see it too."

"Of course I see it. I seen it from the first moment that I saw you. Now what Miss Gilbert?"

"I think you know." I say and he smiles even more and he kisses me and it feels so right and I never want it to end. I pull away slightly and say "Perfect."

"So, Damon Salvatore will you go to prom with me?"

"I'd like that." He says his smile widening. "I love you Elena Gilbert." I smile and I'm happy but I just can't stop thinking about how I let Katherine get away with the cure. "What are you thinking in that pretty little head of yours?"

"How I lost the cure. How everyone wants me to take it because I suck at being a vampire and I know what everyone thinks. I wasn't supposed to vampire and I do want the cure but at the same time I can't be selfish. There's only one dose and I can't take it and I just don't want to disappoint anyone Damon."

"Stefan."

"What?"

"He fought to get it for you and now you feel like you owe it to him to take it."

"I guess a little, but what about you what do you think?"

"I fell in love with you when you were human and I love you now as you are. I don't care Elena, I'll love you either way and I always will."

"Forever?"

"I promise." I smile and I pull him closer and I kiss him with all that I have. I've never felt this way before. I feel like if I spend one moment away from him it'll feel like an eternity. I've never been so in love with someone that to be apart it hurts. In movies that's what they call true love and that's exactly what I'm feeling. He pulls away slightly and says "we should make up for lost time."