Chapter 3

Kenny

I woke up extra early this morning. I guess I'm just excited for school. Besides, Pastor Braxton showed me his bible collection on the bookshelf they managed to squeeze in the storage house in the backyard. He gave me permission to look through them so that's gonna be exciting later.

I walked into the kitchen where Ms. Evelyn had breakfast waiting for us. "Good morning everyone." I said.

"Good morning Kenny how are you?" Ms. Evelyn asked.

"I'm well, thanks for asking."

"Hey Kenny, I got something for you." Pastor Braxton said handing me a set of keys. "A friend of mine wanted to get rid of of his old car and your mother told me you're a good driver so here ya go."

"Oh wow thank you."

"No problem you can help drop the girls off before you go to school so maybe Toni can get to class on time." He said looking at Toni.

"So anyway Kenny what do you wanna be when you grow up." Little Tamar asked.

"A pastor...just like your dad." I said as Pastor Braxton smiled and put his hand on my shoulder.

"No seriously." She said and I chuckled.

"I am serious Tamar." I said.

"Well what do you like to do for fun?" Toni asked. I don't know why but every time I talk to her I get nervous.

********************************

Toni

"Uh... I like learning new ways to solve math problems and reading my bible. Oh and singing hymns." He said nervously. I didn't really know how to react to that. He's like my Dad's dream child.

"Any pets?" Trina asked.

"I have a goldfish named Moses."

"He more saved than daddy." Traci mumbled and I hit her leg while trying to contain my laughter.

"I like you Kenny boy. You love the lord just as much we do. Hallelujah!!!" Tamar said and that was it we couldn't contain our laughter anymore.

"That's enough girls, it's time for school." Mommy said.

I grabbed my car keys and Trina, Tamar and I left. Towanda and Traci hopped in the car with Kenny. After dropping the girls off Kenny and I actually made it to school at the same time.

"Maybe this little plan my dad has is working because I'm here 45 minutes early." I chuckled.

"Are you talking to me?" He asked.

"Duh. Who else would I be talking to?"

"It's just that you NEVER talk to me. Girls like you don't even take a second look at a guy like me."

"Well-"

"Hey babe." Keri said interrupting our conversation.

"Hey." I replied as he pecked my lips.

"I'll see you in class Toni." Kenny said walking away.

"Yeah beat it loser. And don't let me catch you talking to my girl again!" Keri said.

"Leave him alone." I said sternly.

"Whatever let's go before your teacher starts bitching again." He said putting his arms around my shoulders as we walked to class.

"Hey Keri I had fun with you at the party last night." Some random hoe said.

"Hey Jasmine." He said smiling.