Chapter 10

Toni

Kenny and Malik were cramming for our history test and I was waiting for my girls to get here so we could walk to class together. Even though Kenny came clean about not wanting to be a preacher, we haven't told my dad yet. However, he's still super nerdy.

"Hey Toni there's a party at my house tonight. Now I know you're trying to reach out to the less-popular but please don't bring the Nerd Patrol with you." This girl named Destiny said before looking at Ken and Malik and walking away.

"Well we don't wanna come to your stupid party anyway!" Malik said.

The girls walked up and I hugged them. "Hey y'all."

"Hey. Are you going to Destiny's party tonight?" Janet asked.

"I heard it's gonna be so lit and we need to be there because we're losing our rep girl." Taraji said.

"What do you mean?"

They pulled me to the side before Taraji started speaking.

"Okay look I know Kenny and Malik are nice-"

"And cute." Janet added. We looked at her crazy. "What? Malik is really handsome."

"Anyway...they are like social outcasts and hanging with them 24/7 make us social outcasts."

"So we just ditch them?" I asked.

"No just push them to the side, just for tonight."

I looked over at Kenny and by his facial expression, I could tell he knew that we were talking about him. He and Malik walked to class without us and I sighed.

"Toniiii." Taraji called.

"Huh?"

"I said are we going or not?"

"Umm...yeah."

Later that evening...

I heard a knock on my bedroom door as I got ready for the party. "Come in." I said.

"Hey." Kenny said.

"Hey."

"You look nice."

"Thanks. Look about last night-"

"Can I go first please?" He asked and I nodded.

"You don't have to hang out with me because you feel sorry for me or because I'm keeping your secrets. I know you have a reputation to protect and hanging with a loser like me can ruin that. Last night was the best night of my life. I had my first kiss with the girl of my dreams and-"

"Ken stop. I hang out with you because I like you. I think you're nerdy jokes are hilarious and you're smart, handsome, and you're always there for me."

"Thanks Tone. Have fun at your party." He said getting up and walking out.

"Wait! I want you to come with me. I could use a date."

"I don't know..."

"Pleeeeaaasse." I begged using the puppy dog eyes.

"Okay."

"Great! But first, makeover time. Come on." I said grabbing his hand.

An hour later...

"And done." I said proudly. He looked in the mirror with an unreadable expression. "You don't like it?"

"Yeah, it just feels weird without my glasses."

"It's okay. God made contacts for a reason, let's go." I said.