Chapter 22

Kenny

The sun shines in my eyes making me groan. I turned to see Toni laying on my chest. I smiled thinking about last night, but it faded when I heard footsteps near the door. There's a knock on the door before I here Lorraine's voice.

"Kenny? Are you in there?"

"Uh...yes ma'am! I'm umm changing! I'll be out in ten minutes." I lied.

"Alright. One more thing; have you seen Toni?"

"Umm..."

I looked down at Toni who was waking up. She sat up and was about to say something but I covered her mouth. "No ma'am. Maybe she went to school or something."

"Okay. Well, I'll be out watering my rose bushes. Let me know if you need anything."

"I will."

We soon heard her walk downstairs. "Good morning" Toni said with a smile.

"Good morning."

"Damn it, I'm late for school. Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow." She tossed my phone at me after checking the time and grabbed her clothes.

"Tone? I have something I wanted to ask you." I said. I was finally going to ask her to move to Atlanta with me.

"What?"

"Well, I was at the music store playing around on some keys and this guy approached me and wanted me to audition for him. I did it right on the spot and he wants to sign me and move me to Atlanta."

"Ken that's amazing!" She said before sadness took place of her happiness. "That means you're leaving?"

"Well I hoping we would leave...together."

"Ken, I- I don't know. What about our families? Prom? Graduation?" She asked.

I said nothing because I didn't think about anything of that. Usually I had an answer for everything but this time I didn't.

"Look, I like it here but I eventually want to back to Severn. I wanna enjoy prom with my friends and graduate with my class. Don't you?" She asked and I nodded.

"I do but this is the opportunity of a lifetime."

"You're right and that's why you have to go. Even if it means leaving me behind."

"Toni-"

"Ken it's okay. I want you to go and chase your dreams. You deserve it."

I stared at my hands trying not to seem upset. I have to respect her decision, I just wish everything was simpler. She lifted my chin making me look at her.

"After graduation." She said before she kissed my cheek before she left out.

*******************************

Toni

I went to my room and tried not to cry. I don't want him to leave but I can't keep him here when his destiny is in Atlanta. I would never forgive myself for that.

After I got dressed went downstairs as Grandma came from the backyard. I forgot she was here.

"What are you doing here little girl? You're supposed to be at school." She said giving me the eye. It's like she knew where I was the whole time.

"School? Is that today? I knew I forgot something..." I said nervously.

"I'm gonna let it slide since you were up late and Kenny is here. Tomorrow you better have your lil butt at that school."

"Yes grandma." I sighed as I sat at the table. She sat down next to me and observed.

"You look sad. I thought you were happy about Kenny being here."

"I am. It's just...he got a record deal."

"That's great."

"It is, but he has to move to Atlanta and he wants me to go with him."

"Whoa..." she said. There was an awkward silence before she spoke again. "Well, are you going?"

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"Did everyone forget that we're still in high school? I can't be a dropout." I said in frustration.

"I can't tell, you're already skipping school." She joked as I playfully rolled my eyes.

Kenny came downstairs as our laughter died down. He carried a sad look on his face along with his bags in his hands.

"Well, thank you again for everything Ms. Lorraine. I guess since everything is cleared I should be on my way." He said.

"Oh you're welcome honey. Are you sure you don't want to stay for breakfast?"

"No I think it's best that I leave now. I have a flight to catch in a few hours and Joe agreed to drop me off at the airport."

"Alright well it was nice meeting you." She said giving him a hug.

"Same to you."

"I'll walk you out." I volunteered.

We walked out hand in hand just as Joe pulled up. Ken turned to me and we locked eyes. I felt like I just took his heart and stomped on it.
"I guess this is goodbye...for now." He said.

"Do you really have to go right now?" I asked. It just seemed as if he was in a rush.

"The meeting is tomorrow morning."

"So what does that mean for us?"

"I can handle a long distance marriage for a few months. Can you?" He asked.

"Yeah, I guess. Damn it, this just feels so wrong. Why can't our lives just be easy?" Tears streamed down my face.

"Toni if life was easy then there would be no point in us still living."

"I swear you have an answer for everything." I laughed slightly as he kissed my forehead.

"I'll call you everyday and every night."

"You better."

"I love you."

"And I love you."

We shared a long and passionate kiss before he pulled away and smiled. He got into Joe's pickup truck and waved at me through the window. This all just feels like a bad dream. I just got him back and now he's gone again.

I went back into the house where grandma was waiting with open arms. I hugged her and cried on her shoulder for what felt like hours.

The doorbell rang and a hint of excitement hit me hoping it was Kenny. Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse, Grandma opened the door and my father walked in.

Just a little something.🤗

Thanks for the birthday wishes!❤️❤️

Pray for Houston 🙏🏾