Chapter 27

*Two months later*

Sam's POV

I groan and try to move my body to sit up. Instead I feel a deep ache in my bones that causes me to remain stiff.

I don't know where I am or what's going on. All I know is that my entire body hurts, like somebody is beating me with a hammer. I also know that I'm covered in blood, which probably isn't a good thing.

I feel numb, extremely numb. I can't hear or feel anything around me.

You'd think that at the moment I'd be scared, or maybe even terrified.

But despite the fact that I look and feel like someone tried to murder me, literally, I'm at peace.

And then all of a sudden shouts surround me from every direction.

I can hear screaming and sirens.

It's a quite disturbing sound. Not something I'd really want to wake up to.

I can't see anything, my eyes are glued shut.

I know that my name is Samantha Smith.

Everything else is a blur. I don't remember anything in between. I remember some stuff, in bits and pieces.

And finally I feel my confusion and pain completely lifted away from my body, like I'm drifting away.

And although my eyes are already closed, I fall into a deep sleep.

And it's like everything that's happened is replaying in a dream.

Like I can physically see myself, my body, colliding into the windshield of my mother's car.

"Sam babe, wake up. It's time to go to school."

I sit up in my bed abruptly and look over to Aria, absolutely terrified.

I haven't dreamt of my car crash since I was at least ten years old. I had nightmares for years when it happened.

Since I was only seven years old, my body was more physically damaged than my mom's. We were the only two in the car.

Apparently I was in critical condition for a while. It had put me in a coma for weeks.

My mom, on the other hand, was worse than I was. Well, mentally, that is. I was the one left with dozens of scars on my body.

But she was still worse than I.

She didn't die or anything.

But her soul did.

After she got out of the hospital, after we got out of the hospital, she blamed everything on me.

Everyone blamed everything on me, a little girl.

And everyone adored my older sister, Quinn.

That's just the way that life worked.

"Sam!" I snapped back into reality by Aria waving her hands in my face. I didn't notice that I was crying, or sweating, until Aria wiped my tears away and handed me a cold wash rag.

She kissed my cheek and walked out of the room.

I pulled out my phone and checked the time.

6:30

A few minutes went by before Demi rushed into the room, at my aid.

"Are you okay sweetheart?"

I coughed and nodded.

"Yeah, it was just a dream. I'm gonna go get ready for school."

I got up to walk into the bathroom only to be pushed back.

"No, you're not. You're staying home with me today."

"Demi, I'm fine. Just let me go." I watched as her concerned expression turned into a sad one.

I raised an eyebrow in question.

"Y-You haven't called me Demi in months," she whispered.

I sighed and climbed into her lap, wrapping my arms around her neck and resting her head onto my shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Momma. It just slipped. You know that you're my mom and you always will be, okay?" She slowly nodded and I pulled back, pecking her on the lips.

"While your up will you fix Dani's hair for me?"

"Sure."

I loved Dani to death. She was probably my favorite, but don't tell Aria or Allison that. Especially Aria, she would have a cow.

I got up from Demi's lap and walked down the hall to Dani's room.

"Sam!"

"Dani!" I mocked.

"Are you doing my hair?" She asked. I nodded and motioned for her to sit in front of me.

"So how do you want it, Dani-bear?" I teased.

"I'm gonna kill Mom," she grumbled, "Can you braid it?"

"Uh-huh."

I ran my fingers through her hair slowly before grabbing her pink brush and running it through it.

"So what's so special about today?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean why are you all dressed up so cute and why do you want somebody to fix your hair up? Usually you just pull it back in a ponytail," I remarked.

"Oh. Well, uh, there's this new kid in my class and-"

"And you want to impress him? Does my little Dani have a crush?"

I noticed her cheeks go pink.

"No. And, uh, it's not a him."

"A her?"

She nodded.

"Is that weird or nasty?"

I sighed and and stopped brushing her hair. She turned to look at me and I watched little tears roll down her cheeks, and her glasses become foggy.

"Not at all, Dan-Dan. I don't care what gender you like, you're still my little sister. Now wipe off your tears and turn around so I can can help you get all dolled up."

She smiled widely and gave me a hug before turning back around.

I glanced over just in time to see Demi, Aria, and Allison all standing in the doorway, a look of awe on their faces.

*~*

"Mommaaaa," I dragged out, laying my body across Demi's. We were currently watching Finding Nemo, because why not.

"Whaaattt," she mocked.

"I love you."

"I love you too, baby."

I scoffed, "I know."

She punched me in the shoulder jokingly and pushed me off of her.

"So I found out the gender of the baby yesterday.." she trailed off. I sat up immediately and looked at Demi with wide eyes.

"Well?"

She smiled widely.

"It's a boy."