Chapter 8

I watched as Demi shut my door and slammed my phone down on my desk before running her fingers through her hair. I couldn't help but jump a little bit because in the short amount of time that I'd lived there I had never seen her that angry before.. And considering the fact that I had a bad past with abusive foster parents, I was rather scared of her at that point.

I didn't even notice I was shaking until Demi came over and wrapped her arms around me. I knew, or believed well enough that she wouldn't hurt me but stiffened in her hold anyways.

"I'm sorry. You know that I'm not angry at you, sweetheart, right? You don't have to be afraid."

"I know."

She watched me with a sad expression on her face, "You know that we're going to talk about this," she trailed off before her face went back to its strict demeanor, "And then you and I are going straight to the police."

My eyes widened but I remained silent.

"Sam, this is serious. I'm not letting this Jake kid get away with tormenting you like this. It's harassment."

I suddenly burst into sobs and went straight into Demi's chest. I felt her rub my back gently before I suddenly pulled back and wiped my tears with the back of my hand.

"How long has this been going on for?"

"Since a few weeks ago, I guess," I whispered.

"You know what, no. We're dealing with this now, let's go."

I didn't bother taking my time in following Demi to the car. We both quickly hopped into the vehicle and sped off.

...

"Alright, thank you for reporting this, Ms. Lovato. We are getting into contact with Jake's parents and he will no longer be able to contact your daughter." Demi nodded and we walked out of the police station. I had to give a statement, which I wasn't too excited about, but everything else went fine. It surprised me how outraged some of the police looked when Demi reported what happened and handed them my phone with the texts from Jake. There were a countless number of threats, some even life-threatning.

I leaned my head against the glass window and sighed. The sky was getting darker and darker by the minute, and I could only guess that it was around seven or eight o clock since I still hadn't gotten my phone back yet.

Demi had finally calmed down a little after a while. I knew she was exhausted. She had to have been. All of my problems had been dragged onto her in just the short amount of time that I moved in.

It made me realize how selfish I was being. Demi barely had time to spend with Allison and Dani anymore because of me. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted me to leave, honestly. I had literally done nothing but take their mom's attention away from them.

"So I just figured that we should go ahead and get takeout while we're still in town.. I'm still kind of hungry. What do you say?" I simply nodded, too exhausted to talk.

"You okay?" Demi asked as we pulled into an empty parking lot. I nodded again.

She gave me a look.

"I'm fine, Demetria."

Her head shot up at the mention of her full name, probably wondering where I had heard it from. I simply shrugged my shoulders and smirked as we pulled into the line for Taco Bell.

After Demi placed an order something occured to me, causing me to fidget in my seat.

"Um, Demi?"

"Hmm?" She mumbled.

"C-Can I spend the night at a friend's house this weekend?"

She glanced over at me and smiled, "I guess."

"Really?"

"Mhm."

"Thank you!" I bounced in my seat and squealed. She laughed and pulled the car up to the window.
...

"So can you!?" Aria shouted excitedly into the camera.

We were facetiming. We had been mostly after school since we met over a week or so ago, and had grown extremley close to each other. I reached over to take a bite of my taco before nodding my head.

"Yep!"

"That's what I'm talking about. Invisible fist pump!"

"You're so weird," I laughed.

"Who's that you're talking to?" Demi asked as she entered my room and began to pick up dirty clothes off the floor.

"A friend."

"And this friend being?"

"The one who's house I'm going to this weekend."

Aria laughed, "Is that your mom?"

I rolled my eyes and nodded slight, "Eh. Kinda."

Demi came beside me and I quickly turned the screen to where they couldn't see each other.

"Demi, go away!"

She snickered and shook her head.

"Oh come on Sammie, I wanna see your mommy!" Aria taunted.

I groaned and turned the screen around. Aria suddenly let out a loud gasped.

"Dude, you're Demi Lovato!"

Demi smiled, "I am."

"How do you know who she is?"

Aria's eyes went wide, "Are you kidding!?" She turned back to Demi, "My mom used to be sooo obsessed with you. Like, to the point where she named me after you. My middle name is Devonne."

Demi smiled and shook her head, "Gotta love my Lovatics." And with that she left the room.

"You're mom used to be mega famous, dude. Holy balls." I shrugged

"Anyways, guess what almost happened today!?"

"Did you finally pass a test?"

"Ha ha, very funny. Anyways, I met this guy at the roller rink and he asked me out." I smiled.

"Here's a picture," she shoved a polaroid to the camera, "his name is Jake."

And my heart stopped.