- Just Before Goodbye -

"...Have we been seeing the world through
A piece of shattered glass
'Cause something so beautiful
Could fall apart so fast?..."

A year and a half later...

A stroll down the park with foreign fingers intertwined with yours. Foreign, not as a person, of course, you knew that person very well but the touch didn't seem right. It was like you were in a uncomfortable situation with someone you didn't even want to know, but you did. As a matter of fact, you weren't even sure what you were doing in this relationship. You were convincing yourself that you just had to get used to a new person in your life, a new man who was trying his best to make you happy, but it just wasn't it. You didn't feel the flames wherever he touched you, you didn't feel butterflies erupting in the pit of your stomach whenever your lips connected or your cheeks burning after he complimented you. He couldn't even remember your favorite flowers, and instead of tulips (I'm obsessed with tulips, okay?! I know. XD) he brought you red roses which were too cliche for your taste. Even though he tried too hard- wait. He tried too hard. That was it. Because the other guy who broke your heart never tried too hard. He didn't even bat an eyelash when you first walked into the room  and saw him and in your mind, you said: "this is the man I want to be with". But also, the new guy never tucked tulips behind your ears and never held your hand loosely but still secure enough. Instead, you threw away every bouquet of those damn roses you received and he held your hand so tightly that it hurt; he was scared he was going to lose you. The new guy's name didn't even make your heart flutter whenever you heard it; it wasn't even that pretty of a name. Damiaan. You hated that name, and you didn't even know why. (I'm sorry if your name is Damiaan or if you have someone close by this name lol. I don't hate it, it was just the first one that popped into my brain. It's actually pretty cool if you ask me). But his name... that name you pronounced with so much passion and elegance in your voice. That incredibly common Dutch name you heard almost every day, used by different people for people other than him, but still it was so unique for you. 

Martijn. 

The previous year...

It was November when you first met him. The snow was knee length and you hated the cold. You were attending a party at a local bar you visited every Friday or Saturday with your friends, but this time you came alone; your friends were waiting for you there since you were the last one to come. A new local band was playing that night and you loved their music, so you put on some makeup, got dressed in your best winter clothes and walked through the cold, dark streets towards the city center. After you hugged all of your friends, you walked towards the bartender to get a drink, then you felt eyes on you. He was sitting on a couch in the far corner, but you could still see him looking right at you with a smirk on his face while, at the same time, he was talking to his friends. He took a last swig of his beer before he approached the bar to get another one. He stood right next to you, and the first thing you noticed was his strong cologne. The bartender gave you your drink, a vodka you were obsessed with, and he got his pint right away, but as you grabbed your wallet to pay, the silky voice and mesmerizing accent spoke:

-It's okay, I pay for both. - you didn't even get the chance to react before he walked away with a smile, though he was not turning around to take one final glance towards you. 

You were surprised by his actions, but flattered as well. You decided you should thank him later, right then he was too caught up into talking to his friends. 

The first time he made you blush and you didn't even know his name yet. The worst kind of guy. 

The band was amazing, you sang along to almost every song and cover they made, you even danced a little, even though you knew you were ungraceful and clumsy, you didn't care. Sometimes when you glanced towards his direction, you would catch him staring but then he would quickly look away as if nothing happened. 

He's cute, you thought. But he's probably shy. 

He was standing near the stage, holding his half-empty pint in his right hand while the other one was tucked into his left pocket. It was hard not to notice the navy green sweater and bright blue jeans, even though it was winter. It was almost time to go home, majority of your friends were pretty wasted and you knew you had to get up early in the morning, but you couldn't leave without thanking him and at least getting his name. So you approached him when he was finally alone. 

-Hi. - you tried to out-talk the loud music. 

-Hey. - he just glanced at you then looked back at the stage which made you feel a bit awkward. But you were persistent. 

-Thanks for buying me a drink. That was really sweet of you. 

-No problem. - he smiled, then drank the cold, yellow liquid. - Need anything else? - he seemed a bit annoyed by your advent, but it made you want him even more. You always liked challenges, and this guy obviously seemed like one. 

-My name is (Y/N). May I at least know the name of the man who bought me a vodka on a Friday night? - you smiled politely. 

He giggled and you could've sworn it was the cutest sound ever. - Martijn. - he almost whispered in your ear, his lower lip touching your cheek, then he walked away from you the second time that night. 

He was an asshole, true, but at least he wasn't easy. You were confused by the fact that he paid something for you but seemed uninterested when it came to meeting you. You wondered what kind of a sick game was he playing and if he did that to every girl. You looked around the crowded room and wondered how many drinks he had paid to the majority of tipsy girls that night. 

But one thing was sure; you were going to meet him again. The world wasn't big enough to hide him from you. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The QUEEN Nina Nesbitt. I am obsessed with her songs, she is so talented and so gorgeous. She has an amazing voice, almost like an angel. Anyway, I've decided to write this story in parts, so expect a Part two but comment what you think about this part. Do you like the plot? Btw sorry for the A/N in the story, I had to lol. But I really, really, really love tulips because they're the closest to Amsterdam I've ever been. 

-Dakota.