Introduction

Characters

Jesy Nelson

Jesy is 26, lives in London in a 2 bedroom apartment, she works at a dance and drama school. She is fun and entertaining but can be strict with the girls.

Olivia Grace Wilson

Olivia is 7 years old, she has long blonde hair and blue eyes. Before the car accident, Livy was funny, kind and caring but since she has become irritable, naughty and over protective of Eloise.

Eloise Isabelle Wilson

Eloise is 5 years old, has shoulder length light brown hair and blue eyes. Before the car accident she was energetic, sweet and funny but since she has become quiet and shy.

Leigh Anne Pinnock

Leigh Anne is 25 years old, Jesy's best friend. She also words at the dance and drama school. She didn't know the girls, prior to the accident but now she tries to help Jesy.

Perrie Edwards

Perrie is 23 years old, and one of Jesy's close friends.

Jade Thirlwall

Jade is 24 years old, and one of Jesy's close friends.

Jesy, Olivia & Eloise's Family

They have a relatively small family, 2 sets of grandparents and one aunt with her own small family. They live a few hours away and they haven't seen each other for a couple of months.

Prologue

Jesy's POV

It is about 3pm and I am in my apartment sat on my bed, getting ready to head out to the drama and dance studio for classes starting at 4.

I was on my way down the stairs to find the car keys when the doorbell rang, not expecting anybody, I looked through the peephole revealing a police officer and a young woman stood next to him. I opened the door, slowly, smiling slightly in their direction, I didn't have any idea why they would be stood at my front door.

Police Officer: "Hello, are you Jessica Nelson?"

Me: "I am, can I help?"

Police Officer: "Can we come in, we have something we need to discuss,"

Me: "Yeah, of course, please," I said moving to the side and leading the two to the kitchen table.

Police Officer: "I am so sorry that I have to tell you this, but there was a car accident on the M25 yesterday morning." I remembered seeing it on the news, it had numerous fatalities but they hadn't been named yet. "One of the cars involved was holding your parents Michael and Louise and Olivia and Eloise, I'm so sorry but both adults were killed instantly upon impact,"

They were going away to Cornwall for the weekend, I couldn't come having to work at the school on Saturday's, they must have been driving home when they crashed. 

Me: "Oh, umm," I said in shock, no tears were coming even though I knew they should be. My mouth moved more, looking for words but I had none. 

Other Woman: "My name is Hanna, from the Child Safety Department, I took your sisters from the scene, they're currently placed in emergency foster care, but we were hoping that as you are their next of kin, you would become their legal guardian,"

Wow. I really was in shock. I didn't know what to say or what to do.

Me: "The girls, the girls, are they okay?"

Hanna: "They're fine, only a few minor injuries,"

Me: "Okay, I'm happy to take in the girls, where are they now, can I take them from there like today, now, what do I do, I'm sure they are so confused and upset." I say quickly, they were so little, and needed someone they knew rather than a couple of strangers looking after them, explaining the unimaginable.

Hanna: "The girls are in a foster home about 20 minutes from here, as long as you are happy to you can take them from now."

Me: "Yes definitely, when can we get them?" I say not thinking of the lack of things I have for a 7 and 5 year old girl at the house, just imagining their stress and worry being placed in a home that they don't know with people they don't know.

Hanna: "We can go now, if you would like."

Police Officer: "We also need you to come to the hospital, just to identify the bodies and then the bodies will be able to go to funeral homes or whatever you choose," he said, gently. I didn't know anything about funerals and what happens after the death of somebody, I had only been to one funeral and I could barely remember it.

Me: "Yes, right, oh right okay, can I do that now?" I say stumbling on my words as I stand up from the table and grab my car keys from the side table.

Police Officer: "Of course, it won't take too long, we can take you on the way to your sisters," he said nicely.

Me: "Oh, I don't have car seats I don't have anything!" I say having a sudden realisation.

Hanna: "Its okay, I have car seats in the back of my car, I can take you to pick them up and drop you all off back here afterwards."

Me: "Okay, brilliant, thank you very much." I say opening the front door, and following Hanna and the Police Officer to her car parked in the driveway.

As I sat in the backseat of her large 4x4, the tears started rolling down my cheeks. I rang my grandparents, wanting to explain as soon as I could. I sent a quick text to the owner of the dance and drama studio, telling her I wouldn't be able to come tonight. I needed to talk to somebody quickly, now. Somebody I knew, I rang my best friend, Leigh-Anne quickly, not managing to get any words out, before sobbing down the phone.

Leigh-Anne: "Jess, Jess, Breathe. What is the matter? Whats happened? Are you okay?" she asked.

Me: "No, Leigh-Leigh, they're dead. Really dead."

Leigh-Anne: "Who? Jesy, what are you talking about?"

Me: "Mum and Dad in that crash on the M25." I said, calming down slightly.

Leigh-Anne: "Oh My God, do you want me to come round, I'll be there in 5"

Me: "No, Leigh, my sisters, I'm going to pick them up now."

Leigh-Anne: "Okay, okay, calm down, its going to be fine. I'll be at your house when you get home," she said.

Me: "Okay, okay. Everything is going to be fine. Yep, everything will be fine," I reassure myself as we pull up to the hospital.

Leigh-Anne always knew what to say, and at the time I was so glad, I needed some kindness and hearing the voice of someone I knew.

We were at the hospital for just over 30 minutes, the police officer gave me a information pack, before he left needing to get back to work, things that needed to be done and offered his assistance if I ever needed it. I am sure it wouldn't be too difficult to sort everything out with my friends help.

I wiped my eyes and took a few deep breaths as Hanna pulls up the driveway of an average sized house, just outside of central London with flowers and trees in the front garden and the top of a trampoline being visible over the fence. In a weird way it relaxed me. The girls hadn't been in a horrible place for the past couple of days. Maybe I would be able to do this, I thought to myself as Hanna pressed the doorbell and we waited for an answer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed the very first bit of the book!

Let me know in the comments what you want to read, any ideas, suggestions, requests etc. and I will try and make it happen. It might be easier to suggest later in the book when we all kind of know what is happening in the book!

Word Count - 1311 words

Original Publish Date - 22 June 2017

Updated Publish Date - 26 June 2017