Chapter 21 - Toys & Laundry

Jesy's POV

Just like I had thought my few 'parenting wins' earlier were bound to lead to something bad and I was right! Olivia was fine but all day Eloise had been bratty, irritable and rude, every time I asked her something she ignored, did the complete opposite or talked back, her and Olivia were having petty little fights over ridiculously small things. Just like sisters would but I was exhausted constantly refereeing the two of them. 

The girls were playing in their room while I made dinner now. I was almost finished and just placing the vegetables on the plate when I heard a shout from upstairs. 

Olivia: "No Eloise! That's mine, stop it!" I tried to ignore hoping that they would sort it out themselves. 

Eloise: "I don't care I want it now!" I moved closer to the stairs so I could hear them. 

Olivia: "Hey! Give it back!" 

Eloise: "No! It's rubbish anyway!" 

I heard a tearing sound and instantly ran up the stairs concerned as to what Eloise in this mood could have done. 

Olivia: "J-jess, Ellie ripped my picture!" she said coming over to me as soon as I appeared in the girls bedroom door. 

Me: "Eloise." I warned, "Did you rip Olivia's drawing?" I asked sternly. 

Eloise: "I didn't do it on purpose," she stated. 

Olivia: "Yeah, she did!" 

Me: "Okay, Olivia. You cannot rip a picture in half by accident like this." I said holding the paper that was now torn straight in two down the middle. "That is not very kind, you wouldn't be very happy if Olivia had ripped your picture, would you?" She shook her head looking down. "No, I'm taking away your crayons until you can play with them nicely." I said taking the packet from the table. 

On my way downstairs I placed the crayons on a high shelf in what we called the 'laundry cupboard,' it was too small to be a room and was just a washer, dryer and a few cupboards and shelfs above. The girls knew they weren't allowed in there, I was scared of them getting into the detergent or bleach so I always used it to hide toys that I had taken away from them. I think they knew where the 'secret hiding spot' was but never attempted to take anything. They were good and well behaved the majority of the time. 

Me: "Girls! Come down for dinner, please!" I called upstairs. A few seconds later I heard their feet coming down the stairs and thankfully the rest of the evening went without a problem, their fights never lasted longer than about 5 minutes and then they were claiming they were best friends again. 

Another thing that had emerged in the last few days was Eloise's constant never-ending, relentless questions. I had googled it one evening one time wondering if it was normal. only to find out that average five year old girls ask 390 questions per day, approximately one question per minute and fifty six seconds. I had provided answers to the oddest questions, one of my favourites being; how big are people in the radio?! 

We are in the bathroom right now, Olivia has just had a shower and I am waiting for the bath to run for Eloise. Thankfully for the rest of the evening both girls had been well behaved. 

Me: "Els! Come on, bathtime!" I called into my bedroom where both girls were sat on my bed. 

Eloise: "I'm here," she announced appearing in the bathroom. 

Me: "Yep, there you are!" I said taking her dress off before she could climb into the bath fully clothed.  

Eloise: "Mama?" she said sweetly once she was in the bath. Every time she did call me 'Mommy' or 'Mama' it made my heart flutter a little.