thirty

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

Destined To Kill

━━━━━━━━

The flashback in this chapter is the one from 3x08 with Rumple and how Pan became who he is. I'm following the flashback storyline so I won't be going all the way to the point where the shadow takes them away. You guys already know what happens.

━━━━━━━━

BACK THEN THINGS WEREN'T EASY. And they weren't now. Though the memories stayed with the three of them forever. The memories of when they were abandoned. And in those memories lied the truth. The truth as to why the two children were abandoned. Why their mother was nowhere to be found, why their father gave them up, why he was so desperate to keep his daughter safe from what he was forced to call his son.

Things happen for a reason, but the parents didn't understand why their daughter was to receive this fate. They didn't understand why their daughter was to be killed by a child they raised and called their son.

Desperation. They were desperate to save their daughter from him. But there was no escaping fate.

There was no escaping the curse that was placed upon Melody.

---

Several men surrounded the table as he shuffled the cards, something he did all the time. Though most people knew better than to trust him.

"Follow the lady, gents," Malcolm instructed.

Both of his children stood behind him as they waited for their father to finish. Although the older one knew that their father was a cheat, they needed the money.

"A shilling returns two," Malcolm continued.

The men who were in front of the table exchanged curious looks. Melody tugged on her brother's hand with a smile. The young girl had always liked her father's tricks, however, Malcolm was always carefully because he didn't want his daughter to know he cheated. He had told her it was magic, to spark a bit of hope inside of her.

Rumple smiled back at her and the girl held his hand tighter. Malcolm finished shuffling the cards and the man in front of the table went to pick a card. Malcolm turned it over and revealed a card that wasn't the one the man was supposed to pick.

"What?" the man said confused.

"Don't feel too bad. You're not the only one who's been spurned by the lady tonight." Malcolm twirled the coins in his fingers and smiled. "She's been quite shy all evening."

The man became angry and grabbed Malcolm's arm which held the lady card the man was supposed to find.

"You tricked me," the man realized.