Five 🐚

"Josh?" Tyler smiled "Your name is Josh?"

Josh nodded and smiled showing two rows of sharp pointy teeth. Even if the smile was sweet Tyler felt threatened. Tyler slowly inched closer. The merman's eyes sparkled like two shiny gems in the sunlight. Tyler was fascinated by the blue eye, it looked unreal. Tyler caught himself staring at Josh's eyes for an awkwardly long time. Josh splashed the water with his tail lightly. Tyler slowly inched forward and sat closer to Josh.

Josh propped his chin with his hand and stared at Tyler who shifted uncomfortably. He was pondering if the merman is friendly or is he going to drag him down to the bottom of the ocean and eat him while he's still screaming.

Tyler stared at the merman's chest where he could see little scars, they were barely visible. Those scars were on the merman's forearms and some were on his neck as well. Tyler unconsciously reached his hand out to caress Josh's forearm. As soon as Tyler's fingertips brushed against Josh's milky skin the merman jumped like he had been electrocuted. He backed away from Tyler's reach.

"It's okay." Tyler cooed "I'm not gonna hurt you. "

Tyler extended his arm and Josh slowly approached the boy. He slowly and unsurely swam forward till he was within Tyler's grasp. The boy slowly reached out and ran his fingertips across Josh's chest that was littered with little scars and scrapes. The man's skin was so perfect that it didn't matter that he had scars littering it. Tyler softly caressed Josh's shoulder thinking how strong his muscles must be from all that swimming. Josh seemed to be enjoying that little massage Tyler was giving him. He pushed his cheek against Tyler's hand wanting the boy to caress his cheek.

"You like that?" Tyler chuckled gently scratching under Josh's ear where his hair started

The man closed his eyes and nudged his head against Tyler's arm almost like a cat would. Tyler giggled and continued petting the merman. He was making all sorts of noises starting with something that sounded like purring finishing with a soft whine when Tyler decided that it's enough petting for now.

Josh pouted and reached for Tyler's hand so the boy would pet him again but Tyler shook his head.

"Don't be greedy." Tyler chuckled trying to free his hand from the merman's grasp but he didn't give up till Tyler started petting his wet hair again.

Josh's hair was as soft as cotton candy despite the fact that he's been living in salt water since he was born probably. It had an interesting texture to them, they were somewhat thicker and slicker than normal human hair but they were still soft. Tyler enjoyed petting Josh as much as he enjoyed being pet. Josh rose from the water inch by inch, soon his upper body was on the sand, Josh's fishtail swirled in the water with no purpose now.

Josh was interested in Tyler's jacket. The man tried to take it off but with a firm no from Tyler, the merman stopped trying. Tyler noticed that the hook was still piercing Josh's stomach but every time the boy tried to aid the man he backed away with a quiet rumble coming out of his throat. Tyler decided to stay away for now because Josh had sharp teeth and strong arms that could tear him apart in three seconds.

Josh was inching forward, now his upper thighs were on the sand. Josh's face was uncomfortably close to Tyler's. Josh was practically laying on Tyler, grabbing every inch of the boy's body and inspecting it. First Josh started with Tyler's arms. The boy didn't have webbed fingers like Josh did and it left Josh deeply shaken. He kept placing his palm against Tyler's and comparing the size difference. Tyler's hands were much smaller than Josh's. Josh's whole body was much larger than Tyler's, the tail added the effect but Josh's movement were moving gentle and fluid. He moved like a snake, all of his movements were graceful, almost magical where Tyler was a clumsy, rough human with calloused hands from working. Josh moved upwards and examined Tyler's neck where he tapped his fingers against the boy's skin probably looking for his gills.

"Br-breathe..." Josh uttered inspecting Tyler's neck "U-U-under-wa-ter?"

"I can't breathe underwater, Josh." Tyler pointed at his nose "I breathe air."

Josh pointed at his nose, then at his gills.

"B-breathe air...and wa-ter. "

"I can only breathe air." Tyler smiled

Josh nodded, he looked kinda sad that Tyler didn't have gills like he did. Josh moved down at Tyler's legs. The merman grabbed Tyler's feet and pulled his shoes off. Tyler protested but decided to give up. Josh looked at Tyler's toes fascinated.

"Tw-two t-tail-tails?" Josh asked "Ma-ny fins."

"No, Josh. I don't have a tail or fins. These are called legs."

"N-no tail?" Josh furrowed his brows

"No tail." Tyler repeated while smiling

"N-no brea-breathe under-wa-ter?" Josh sighed "N-no swim?"

"I can swim." Tyler shrugged "Kind of."

"Brea-the under-wa-ter?" Josh's eyes lit up

Tyler sighed and shook his head.

"I can swim but I can't breathe underwater. "

"No-ot g-good." Josh shook his head

"Yeah, that's kinda lame." Tyler chuckled and nodded his head in agreement

Josh gripped Tyler's thighs tightly. He kept bending Tyler's legs and spreading them apart still curious how they worked.

"I h-have legs." Josh finally said after he was done with Tyler's legs

Tyler raised an eyebrow.

"You do?"

Josh nodded

"Very n-not wa-ter."

"Very not water" Tyler repeated and chuckled to himself "Do you mean when you're on land?"

Josh nodded and pointed at his seashell on his neck

"N-no spark-ling, n-no water, l-leg."

Tyler needed a moment to process all of that.

"So you grow legs when you're not wearing that and you're on dry land?"

Josh nodded his head. His brows soon knitted into a frown.

"L-legs hum-man." Josh shook his head disappointed "Very bad hu-human legs."

Tyler had no idea what the merman wanted to say.

"Humans are bad?" the boy asked

"Bad." Josh pointed at the horizon "Bad, bad."

Josh kept repeating bad every time he pointed at a scar on his skin. He finally pointed at the hook stuck in his stomach. Tyler bit his lip nervously. Josh lifted his head up and looked Tyler into his eyes. Tyler waited for his death. Josh propped himself on his arms and leaned in.He had no idea what personal space is and that brushing your nose against someone else's was a bit weird if you just met them five minutes ago.

"Ba-bad human." Josh pointed at Tyler who was about to faint seeing Josh's sharp teeth "Pretty hu-man."

"W-what?" Tyler stuttered feeling his cheeks heat up

"Pretty human." Josh finally said without stuttering or breaking words apart "Tyler is a pretty human."