Forty seven 🐚

Josh's feet moved fast on the sand. Tyler had troubles keeping up with the man because he was determined to get where he was heading as fast as he could. Tyler felt like he's the one who lived with a tail instead of legs since birth because Josh was much faster than him. Tyler kept stopping for a second to catch his breath. Josh didn't wait for Tyler, he didn't even turn around. The blue-haired man kept mumbling to himself that something was crying and needed his help. Tyler didn't believe him, he through that Josh was extremely tired and all he needed was a good twelve-hour sleep. As much as Tyler didn't like this midnight stroll, he tagged along. The brunette didn't want the man to get hurt, Tyler felt the need to be with Josh twenty-four-seven as if it is was his responsibility to keep Josh safe.

Tyler let out a quiet groan when Josh suddenly jumped up and quickened his pace. They were climbing rocks now. This was the part of the beach Tyler didn't like. There was no sand, only big grey rocks protruding from the ground. And the water seemed colder there, the beach was gloomy. Tourists found it inconvenient, only some came here. Most of them were photographers because even if the beach was cold and abandoned it was still incredibly beautiful.

Tyler cursed out loud when his bare foot hit a sharp rock in the wrong way and his little toe started bleeding. Tyler let out a long and annoyed "fuck" before continuing his journey. Josh was already really far ahead of him but it was easier for Tyler to catch up to him because the man wasn't moving. He stood slouching, his hands hung limply by his sides. Tyler collected all of his strength and ran up to the man. Josh was still standing there, looking at the water where a small brown sack was trapped in between two large rocks. Tyler placed his hands on his knees and tried to catch his breath for a few minutes. When he lifted his head up Josh was still standing there, still looking at the water.

"Josh?" Tyler placed his hand on the man's shoulder "Josh, are you okay? Why did you stop?"

Josh just shrugged his shoulders lightly and bit his lip. Tyler saw that the man was trying to hold back his tears. Tyler had an idea what could've been in the sack and why Josh abruptly stopped.

"Is that a..." Tyler stepped forward but was stopped by Josh's hand gently gripping his upper arm

"D-don't..."

"Josh, I gotta take it out of the water." Tyler sighed "Turn around if... Josh you don't have to see what's in it."

The blue-haired man just shook his head and let go of the man. Tyler flashed the man a reassuring smile and stepped into the water. Josh clenched his fists watching the boy step into the waves to reach the sack. Tyler's heart was thumping wildly as his fingers got the hold of the wet material. It was quite heavy but not too heavy. Tyler stood with his back turned to Josh so the man wouldn't see how he untied the knots to peek inside. Tyler's heard trembled as his gaze fell on a small wet animal whose fur was the colour of the swirling sand beneath his feet. Tyler gently shook the wet ragdoll-like creature but it gave no signs of life. Tyler stared at it for a long time not sure what to do with it and how to take it out of the water without showing it to Josh.

Tyler cradled the tiny creature in his arms and slowly rose out of the water. He tried as best as he could to hide the dead animal with his hands but seeing that Josh was crying Tyler understood that he failed. The brunette held the creature more naturally since he didn't have to hide it from Josh anymore. Tyler felt the water drip down his hands as he pressed the little puppy to his chest. Suddenly Tyler realized that he's crying too, he didn't feel his tears up until the moment when Josh started wiping them while crying himself.

Josh reached for the tiny animal in Tyler's arms and gently pressed it to his chest. Tears falling from Josh's face fell on the light brown fur and soaked right in.

"I'm sorry, little one." Josh whispered as he softly kissed the puppy "I'm sorry."

"How could anyone do this?" Tyler wiped his tears with the back of his hand

"I don't know." Josh whispered "I don't know, Ty."

Tyler gently stroked the little one's head hoping that it would open it's tiny eyes but it was too late. Tyler bit his lip repeatedly. He should've listened to Josh. If he didn't try to drag him back maybe they would've been able to save it. Josh kissed Tyler's cheek and gave him a sweet smile like he knew what Tyler was thinking about. Tyler gently hugged the man, he still hoped that the creature would come back to life.

Josh stared at it with eyes full of sadness. He glanced at Tyler's hand where he still was clenching the necklace between his fingers. Josh softly brushed his fingers against Tyler's.

"Ty..." Josh whispered

Tyler loosened up his grip revealing the shell necklace laying on his palm.
Josh glanced Tyler in the eyes and nodded. The boy put the necklace on Josh and led him back in the water where he held the puppy above the salty waves. Josh took a deep breath and dragged the ragged edge of the shell across his palm. Tyler didn't see any difference at first and a jolt of panic rushed through his body but a few moments later blue scales grew around Josh's temples and his skin started glowing in the moonlight again. The man rocked on the waves lightly, his tail softly splashing the water around. He gripped the puppy tighter and softly kissed it's tiny forehead.

A wide smile lit up Tyler's face. Josh's eyelashes fluttered as he opened his eyes slowly and his sparkly mismatched eyes met two dark brown ones. The puppy yawned and blinked lazily. Its tail wagged weakly. Josh's eyes filled with tears again. He held the puppy against his heart and gently rocked back and forth. The dog let out a sleepy whine and closed its eyes. The dog's ears wiggled and his eyes opened again when Tyler stepped into the water.

"He's so cute." Tyler whispered gently petting the puppy

"Very soft." Josh nodded

Tyler stared Josh in the eyes for a few seconds before they both bursted out laughing. Tyler snorted in the middle of his giggles and the dog let out a weak and confused bark.

"Can I keep him?" Josh raised his eyebrows "Please?"

"Of course we can keep it." Tyler smiled "What are you gonna call it?"

Josh was silent for a few minutes while he was thinking. The puppy decided to sleep.

"Jim." Josh's eyes lit up "His name is Jim."