Twenty seven 🐚

The boy grabbed the gaff quickly and smacked the queen across the face with it as hard as he could. She let out a high pitched scream as half of her cheek was torn off by the hook splattering blood into the water. Her eyes darkened to the point where only two voids with red glowing dots stared at Tyler. She opened her mouth curling her lip back exposing not only her teeth but her gums as well. Her mouth looked way wider than it was before and that terrified Tyler. Thick dark blood streamed down the mermaid's body tainting the water red.

In case you didn't know wtf is a gaff

The scream that Tyler heard afterwards was the most terrifying sound Tyler had ever heard

The scream that Tyler heard afterwards was the most terrifying sound Tyler had ever heard. The piercing shriek seeped into his bones, shaking his body with horror. What Tyler saw in front of him was far worse. The mermaids surrounding his little boat came hissing and screaming towards him and Josh. Their shark-like teeth protruding out of their wide mouth's as their tongues wiggled in their throats. Tyler felt a thousand breaths before being swarmed by the creatures. He desperately swung the gaff left and right, splattering blood everywhere with every movement.None of his hits missed since there were so many of the creatures. Some instantly gave up, others were more determined. They weren't going for Tyler as much as they were going for Josh. The man climbed back into the boat gasping and coughing.

Tyler flinched at the sight of Josh bleeding. The man winced in pain as his palm pressed up against the gash in his leg. He shook his head telling Tyler that it's nothing. The creatures attacked like rabid disorganized dogs, the boy panted and huffed heavily trying to keep the speed of his swings. The gaff was heavy and slippery, it made crackling sounds threatening to break any moment. Tyler's hook got caught in one of the mermaid's jaws. He kicked the creature in the face making her teeth fly out of her mouth. She spat blood at Tyler's face and dove underwater with a sonorous shriek.

A slimy, scaly hand slowly sore out of the water while Tyler was looking the other direction. Josh tried grabbing onto the boat but was yanked into the water by his leg before he could grasp something. Tyler swung the gaff but it only hit the water below. Josh rose up quickly, his mouth open as he gasped for air. He was pulled down again yelling and kicking. The mermaids left Tyler alone and swarm the place Josh was drowning in. Tyler was too far away to reach it so he jumped into the bloody water without a hesitation. He paddled pathetically trying not to lose his weapon but it slipped out of his grasp again.

"Josh!" he screamed, his mouth tasting the salty water with a hint of blood "Josh!"

The man struggled to keep himself afloat. A dozen pair of hands dragged him down, puncturing his delicate skin with their nails. The more Josh struggled the more violent the mermaids became. The creatures started raking their nails across Josh's chest and back. The water around Josh painted red, the man had no more oxygen in his lungs and started drowning. Josh weakly tried to push himself out of the water with his arms and hands, his hand reaching for escape. He pushed with his arm and legs but he could find no leverage, for all he knew he was dragging himself further down.

Tyler was swimming the best he could, the boy wasn't moving forward at all. He spat out the water constantly, cringing at the salty-metallic taste. He didn't know if it was the water or his tears stinging his eyes, all he could see was a giant squirming blur that was getting redder and redder by the second. Tyler kicked his feet and finally pushed forward. Josh was completely under the water, the water bubbled like it was boiling. A bloody soup. Josh's movement became slower, the creatures scraped their nails against him, cutting through the skin and blood ran freely in thick scarlet rivers that quickly mixed with the salt water.

"Josh!" Tyler gasped before diving under the water

He could've downed himself, he never learned how to swim properly but the adrenaline in his system made him do things he could never normally do. Tyler managed to rip a chunk of mermaids hair and poke an eye out. Two creatures retreated leaving bloody trails in the already tainted water. Josh was surrounded by so many mermaids, it looked like a ball come to life. Limb mixed with limb, blood with blood. Tyler desperately tried to pull off the mermaids off of Josh but his lungs were lacking oxygen. Every time he rose up to the surface for oxygen, Josh had sunk lower and lower. The lower Josh went, the deeper Tyler had to go, putting a strain on his lungs till he felt something in his chest break and couldn't breathe anymore. The boy struggled to stay on the surface, his legs kicking desperately not used to this kind of habitat.

"Josh!" Tyler screamed at the empty ocean "Josh!"

The ocean was calm again. If it wasn't for the bloody water and pieces of mermaid flesh in the water it would've looked like a normal day. Tyler swam closer to the man floating on the surface and dragged him into the boat. The boy was crying and choking on his own saliva, bloody water dripped down his whole body, Tyler was drenched. Tyler stared at the water as tears fell from his eyes hoping to see Josh rise up to the surface.

The ocean was calm. Calmer than ever. No one came up to the surface, nothing showed up.