35. You can't.

**JAE EUN'S POV**

My mind couldn't seem to form complete and logical sentences. Jimin's sudden confession had left me feeling dizzy and even a little bit nauseous. I can't believe that I didn't have a single clue about this.

For the past couple of months, I've spent a lot of my time getting to know Jimin. When we became a couple, I made sure to try and learn more about him. I knew of his favorite color, what he liked to eat, and his hobbies, but those seemed really irrelevant compared to what he just told me right now.

I did find it a little weird that he always steered clear of anything regarding his job, but I didn't think about it too much. I may not have known him for a long time, but I knew well enough when he was uncomfortable about something.

Every time I would bring up something about his work, he would just change the subject and so I stopped asking about it. I didn't want to press him about something that he didn't want to talk about. He can always tell me once he's ready.

But now, everything was starting to make sense. That's why he never wanted to talk about where he worked or what he did. I understand now.

I sensed some movement in front of me and saw Jimin shake his head while releasing a bitter chuckle.

"So you were asking why I was here, right?" Jimin asked me in a rhetorical tone. "That's because I'm the mafia's son." He said.

I only stared at him and realized that my silence must have started to make him feel uneasy. I really didn't mean to do that at all. I was just still in a state of shock.

I saw his lips turn into a small frown and his head suddenly dropped to look at the center console in the car.

"Jimin." I finally said.

He didn't respond. I saw his eyes close from behind his bangs and he let out a sigh before looking up to meet my eyes. He held my hands in his and gave me a sad smile.

"I think, I know what you're about to say." He said. "Please don't." He whispered.

I scrunched my brows in thought. What did he mean? I was about to ask him myself, but he had already started speaking again.

"Let me do it for you." He said, while looking at me with a painful smile. "I know that you must not want to be with someone like me. My father is a wanted drug lord who gets away for doing horrible stuff." He told me.

"You wanted to stop my father because you knew that he was wrong. How can you continue to be with someone who's related to him?" He said and my heart started to ache painfully in my chest.

"Jimin-" I tried again, but he just wouldn't let me speak.

"I don't think I'll be able to bare hearing you say that you can't be with me anymore, so I'm going to let you go myself." He said, while looking intensely into my eyes. "Just nod your head, you don't have to say anything." He whispered.

My eyes widened at his words and I immediately pulled my hands away from him. "Ya! Can you listen to me for a second?" I told him.

He was in a mild shock at my sudden withdrawal from his touch along with my loud voice, but I needed him to listen to what I had to say. I leaned closer towards him and cupped his face with both of my hands.

"I just want to know why you didn't tell me sooner." I told him softly.

"I tried." He whimpered and I could've sworn, my heart broke right there from the sound of his weak voice.