Chapter 4

"Darl, are you okay?" Don asked after she finished nursing the babies and they were changing their diapers; a routine they now had down with having two babies.

Meryl smiled at him, tiredly. "I'm so happy, my Don Man."

"I'm glad; more than you know." Don winked as he cradled Margaret in his arms and kissed his wife's lips; then he cupped her cheek in his palm. "You're looking pale, sweetheart. Are you sure that you're feeling alright?"

Meryl nodded her head. "I'm fine. The lactation consultant did say feeding two would exhaust me more than one; and I'm sure taking much more of my nutrients. My blood sugar might be low or something. I ate more often when nursing one baby; so I'll be doing that plus some with nursing two at once. As much as I love them, I do have to say I am dreading when they both cluster feed."

"That is going to be a bitch." Don sighed remembering how hard that was on her with one; he couldn't imagine how it would be with two babies. "Hopefully it will be at separate time."

Meryl smiled as she picked Bradley up. "I hope so. I do have to say we sure lucked out with these amazing babies, Gummer."

"We did." Don smiled as he kissed his daughter's head. "They really are good babies; I hope this continues."

Meryl smiled at him as she inhaled the scent that was her son and kissed his head over and over. "Me too; you are being an amazing help, thank you so much."

"Darl, this isn't all on you. We're parents together; partners. It's not 50/50; it's 100/100. NOTHING is going to be different this time around other than it's two instead of one." Don said making tears appear in her eyes. "You're not doing this alone."

Meryl tried to blink back the tears. "I NEVER have been; and I know I'm not."

"Did I do something to make you think I won't be right in the middle of everything with you?" Don asked as he wiped away her tears with his spare hand; not exactly sure where the tears were coming from. "Why the tears, sweetheart?"

Meryl shook her head. "I am just a hormonal mess. You are being so amazing. I can't imagine even attempting to do this without you."

"And where else would I be?" Don winked knowing her body had been through hell; and that she must be feeling it emotionally. "You sure that you are feeling okay physically? We still have more people coming by. I can tell them to wait another day or wait until we are home."

Meryl shook her head at him. "No, of course not; I want to show these two off. Besides, I would rather people come here than when we are at home trying to get them on a schedule."

"You say the word and no more visitors." Don said strongly. "I don't mind being the bad guy if it's what's best for you."

Meryl smiled at him. "I know that, thank you."

"Now." Don said getting up and going over to their snack stash. "What does my girl want to eat so that we can get that blood sugar up?"

***

Don had just come out from the bathroom when he heard a knock at the door. He looked at Meryl who immediately sat up as she was holding both babies. "Darl, I can tell whoever it is to go away. Were you resting?"

"I'm fine." Meryl was actually feeling exhausted; but she was just so happy to be feeling as well as she was, and that they had two beautiful babies that she wanted to show them off. "Really."

Don smiled as he opened the door. "I can't believe you kept her away this long."

"It's not fair he got to hold them first." Liz told her life-long friend as she hugged him and whispered in his ear. "Meryl is really okay?"