Chapter 50

"I like remembering when we found out about our babies." Meryl whispered into his ear. "I'm not sure if I ever told you just how happy I was to find out I was pregnant with Louisa. I mean I know I  said how happy and excited I was. I know we were both scared because of my age; not as scared as we've been the last 10 months, though. But I really thought that was my last time; and the fact that I got to carry your baby again when people were telling me I was too old made me happier than I think I could have ever told you. I was actually going to tell you the day that I found out I was pregnant that I wanted another baby; but I've told you that. Who cares? I'll tell you again."

***

It was Thanksgiving in 1990 and the Gummers had flown back to the east coast from California for Thanksgiving. They were enjoying a wonderful Thanksgiving Day at Meryl's parents in Mason's Island. Meryl just wasn't feeling right and she went to make herself some tea in the kitchen when a scene through the window made her smile: her husband playing with their 3 children in the leaves. There were so many things she loved about him; but the main one was what an amazing father and husband he was. A thought came to her that she had been thinking about for awhile as her hand went down to her flat stomach; not knowing her mother was watching until she heard her voice. "He's an amazing father."

"The best." Meryl choked as she left her hand where it was. "And husband."

Mary Streep gasped as she turned her daughter around. "Mary Louise, are you pregnant?"

"What?" Meryl laughed. "No. What makes you ask that?"

Mary wiped her daughter's tears. "You're teary while watching your husband and children playing; and your hand is holding your stomach like you are pregnant. I've been through it 3 times, I've watched you go through it four times; not to mention watching Maeve and Mary."

"I'm not pregnant, Mom." Meryl said tiredly as she grabbed her tea and went to sit down.

Mary followed her daughter. "Honey, what is it? Is everything okay with you and Don? I mean you seem great."

"Everything is wonderful." Meryl smiled. "We're finally getting used to LA. Well, I'm getting as used to it as I can. Don loves being able to work outside so much. The kids are making friends and love their schools."

Mary knew her daughter. "I know you; there's more."

"I haven't even talked to Don about this." Meryl said nervously.

Mary smiled softly at her daughter. "I won't tell him; what is it?"

"I want another baby." Meryl said softly. "I wanted another one after Grace but he was nervous."

Mary nodded. "About having 4?"

"No, he would love a houseful." Meryl laughed. "About me."

Mary played with her daughter's hair. "That's our Don."

"Yeah; it is." Meryl smiled as she drank her tea. "Because of William and Matthew. Then of course Mamie. He's worried about something happening to me with my age and everything. I get it; I do. I just feel like we're not complete. We agreed not to rule it out; but we've never talked about it again."

Mary nodded. "You want to?"

"I do." Meryl smiled. "Like I told him after Grace, I just feel like we're meant to have more. He was afraid that I wasn't content with him and the kids and our life; and that isn't it as well. It's because I love him, I love our family so much, that I want more. Well, another one at least."