Chapter 64

Don's heart was breaking. He didn't know what to do. His wife was on the couch holding their youngest and oldest children trying to calm them down; while she was trying not to lose it, he knew that-he could feel it. He wanted them to run out and find their Mamie girl but he knew calling the police was the best thing to do in this particular circumstance. There was no way he was going to let his father out of his grasp; he knew if he did then he would flee. Then there was his mother who was screaming in his ear. "I didn't know, Don! I didn't know!"

"Well, he's in my fucking apartment isn't he?" Don yelled at his mother. "My wife and two of my children are hysterical. Our son thinks my wife's rapist and the man that abducted and tortured him and his mother is coming back for them. Our BARELY 3 year old daughter is fucking missing at 10 o'clock at night in MANHATTAN; and my wife's heart is breaking. You saying you didn't know isn't going to fix the fucking damage that's been done here tonight; is it?"

James was twisting and turning. "You don't talk to your mother like that you piece of shit."

"Don." Meryl cried. "Be careful."

Don looked over at Meryl and tried to smile.; he knew how terrified she was over the years that James wouldn't stop until he severely hurt Don. "Just stay there where you 3 are safe, sweetheart."

"Don, let him go!" Jane cried. "He's drunk; he's sick."

Don shook his head. "Which is exactly why I'm not letting him go. He wasn't supposed to set foot in this state."

"Daddy." Henry cried. "I help, Daddy."

Don looked around and saw a jump rope on the floor. "Hen, do you want to help Daddy?"

"Don?" Meryl looked at him.

Don nodded. "It's okay, Darl." Don then looked at Henry. "Henry, can you kick that jump rope over here to Daddy? I don't want you to come over here; but can you kick it over here?"

"Mommy says no kicking or trowing." Henry said.

Meryl knew what her husband was thinking. "Since Daddy says it's okay just this once then it's okay."

"Like that, Daddy?" Henry said as his mother kept one hand on him.

Don nodded as he managed to get his foot under the jump rope and brought it up to a free hand. "That's perfect H Man, I'm so proud of you. Now, go sit with Mommy." Don watched as Henry did what he was told. Don managed to tie his father to a post in the den. "You listen here, you fucker. You don't fucking move." Don looked at his mother. "Don't you dare untie him. You both created this."

"Don." Meryl cried as Don ran over to her and took her, Grace and Henry in his arms. "I'm so sorry. You didn't want to leave her here with them."

Jane was hurt. "You didn't want me here with my grandchildren? Why not?"

"Why the hell do you think?" Meryl screamed. "Because he protects us; and you all hurt us." Meryl then looked at Don. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that to her."

Don shook his head as he took hers in his hands. "You do NOT need to apologize for ANYTHING." Don kissed her lips. "Let me take Hen."

"Where is she, Don?" Meryl cried as Don took Henry into his arms and he then kissed their infant daughter. "Where's our baby girl?"

Don shook his head. "I don't know, baby; but we ARE going to find her."

"Colt." Henry cried. "Mean man took Colt."