Chapter 79

After eating breakfast in Meryl's hospital bed, once the babies were fed, Don and Meryl were enjoying a few moments of quiet with each other and their babies. Between nurses coming in and out, family, doctors and the beanies needing certain things; both Don and Meryl were enjoying some moments of quiet. They had talked off and on about Mann; mainly with Don saying how proud he was of his wife and that neither of them would let anything happen. Whenever Meryl would bring up going to Indianapolis, Don would just say they would talk about it when it got closer; and she decided it would be best not to push him. She knew that between his accident and what happened to her that his mind was still spinning. She told herself she would let it be, for now; but she also knew that the first inkling that something was off with him then she would bring it up. While Don and Meryl were enjoying cuddling one another and their babies, Dr. Abbott walked in. "You really are a great looking family"

"Thanks, Doc." Meryl laughed. "We think so."

Don sat up and then helped his wife sit up. "How is she doing?"

"We got lots of fluid off; and your catheter came out last night." Dr. Abbott said.

Meryl nodded without a laugh. "Can't say I was sad to see that thing go."

"Her heart rate?" Don asked concerned. "The AFib?"

Dr. Abbott smiled. "All controlled. Meryl, how would you like to go home?"

"Really?" Meryl's face lit up. "I would love to. Besides, I know it would be easier and better for Don and the babies if we were at home."

Don shook his head. "If it is better for her then we will stay here for as long as she needs. If the trials need to be rescheduled then they will be. We do NOT leave this place until it is absolutely safe for my wife."

"Sweetheart." Meryl knew he was having some internal anguish. "I am sure Hal wouldn't suggest this if it wasn't safe."

Dr. Abbott nodded. "That's right. I'll have medicines called out for you. I want you to rest as much as possible and avoid stress. I know that's not easy with 4 week old twins."

"She will." Don said strongly. "Her diet?"

Dr. Abbott nodded. "I want to keep you on a no added salt diet. Try to watch anything with salt. You are probably my healthiest eating patient; so I'm not too worried. Now we that we have your rhythm regulated it should be smooth sailing."

"Would you like to see her before we go to Indianapolis?" Don asked concerned. "When we get back?"

Meryl smiled softly at her husband as she lifted his hand to her lips. "Translated as my husband would like me to be seen before we leave and upon our return."

"Of course." Dr. Abbott said. "Now Don, your leg is healing nicely but I still want you to take it easy. Limit your walking. Keep your leg propped up. Change the bandaging. It was an awful break that took extensive surgery. With everything else going on I don't want you to forget that."

Don winked at his wife. "She won't let me."

"Anything we need to be doing for Don that we're not doing?" Meryl asked concerned. "How was his brain scan?"

Meryl had insisted that while she was in the hospital that Don had a check up from his accident; including checking the brain swelling he endured which was a contributing factor to his amnesia. Dr. Abbott smiled. "Swelling is going down."

"But it's still there." Meryl said concerned.

Dr. Abbott nodded. "It is; but it is nothing to be concerned about. Keep doing what you're doing. I just want you two to rest as much as possible. Don, are your parents still here?"