Chapter 44

Meryl stirred awake later that night. As she turned on her side, which hurt, she saw her husband sitting on the side of the bed staring into the basinet that the babies were in. Moving it back and forth. "Baby?"

"It's okay, Darl; go back to sleep." Don whispered as he momentarily looked over his shoulder then went back to staring at his perfect babies.

Meryl went up behind him and kissed his neck. "Are they okay?"

"They were just a little fussy but they went back to sleep once I rocked the bassinet a bit." Don said still not taking his eyes off his children. "Do they always sleep in the same bassinet?"

Meryl nodded as she rubbed his back. "It was actually your idea."

"My idea?" Don asked looking back at her.

Meryl smiled as she kissed his lips. "Our first afternoon home with them I couldn't get them to settle down; and I was kind of freaking out but as usual you were my steady rock. I had fed them, you had changed them. Their diapers weren't too tight and nothing was pinching them. You came in from the bathroom in our room and suggested that we put them in the same bassinet; since they were used to being together in the womb. You reminded me that Brady was the only and first one to know about her; and you were right. Being in the same bassinet together calmed them both down immediately. Their pediatrician said to keep doing it as long as they want it."

"I guess I did know what I was doing." Don gave her a small smile.

Meryl could see the doubt in his eyes. "Baby, I can't imagine what it is like for you. To know that you can't remember these big events in our lives; but you have been there every step of the way. The perfect partner in parenting and marriage. Sweetheart, this doesn't change who you are or how much I love you or how damn much we all need you."

"Or how damn much I love and need you." Don wanted to assure her. "M, I know I seem different."

Meryl shook her head as she kissed his forehead. "You don't; not at all, sweetheart. I thought you might be different but you're not; you are still my Don through and through. You're worried about me and the babies and our other kids; you are being my Don Man. You haven't changed at all, sweetheart; there are just some things you can't remember. However, I know you and I can see in your eyes how you are blaming and doubting yourself. Please stop. You are mine and our children's centers; you are the linchpin. I would be absolutely lost without you; for two days I was."

"Thank you for being you." Don said kissing her lips. "For being my best friend, my lover, the mother of my children and the best god damn wife there is."

Meryl winked at him. "You feeling better?" He nodded. "If they were fussy you should have woken me up; you need to sleep."

"I've slept for days." Don said making her roll her eyes. "And how much sleep have you gotten since the accident?"

Meryl knew that look in his eyes. "I don't think I want to answer that."

"That's what I thought." Don said tucking her hair behind her ear. "I know all this has been on your shoulders but I'm back. You aren't in this alone. I want to take care of the babies, too."

Meryl smiled at him. "Even when you were unconscious I wasn't alone. I would talk to you. I would place the babies on your chest. I would hold your hand. I still felt you. I wasn't alone."

"I'm glad you didn't feel alone; but I wasn't able to help with the babies." Don said looking back at their sleeping children. "I can now. I want to. As long as it doesn't require the boob then I can take care of them."

Meryl laughed at her Don being just that; her Don. "But you also need rest."

"But there's so much to make up for." Don sighed. "To them...to you."