Chapter 92

The Gummers spent the next day relaxing and Brad and Jane's house on Geist Lake. Meryl was so glad she insisted they stayed; because she saw how much lighter her husband and children were. It was just what they needed. They played games. They napped. They ate. Everyone fussed over the babies; and then everyone went to Mike and Maggie Brown's that evening for more laughter and celebrating. Meryl wasn't sure when she last saw her husband so relaxed and at peace; while she knew he was still missing his memories, she was just so happy to see him making new ones. She was so happy their whole family could make new ones together. Don was just as happy. He feeling a huge weight lifted off his shoulders knowing James was dead; and that Peggy, Carl Raymore and Kevin Mann would be behind bars forever. He felt like it was a new beginning for him and Meryl and his kids-including the twins. He felt like he had never been closer to his wife, children and the rest of the family. While it was a stressful trip to say the least; it was one that was crucial for the safety and well-being of their family, and it couldn't have turned out better. The next day everyone got on a plane and headed back to New York. Don and Meryl stayed back in Larry's office so she could nurse the twins, in privacy, during take-off and landing. Louisa drove their car home from the airfield, while everyone else went on their way; and after having lunch with her parents and youngest siblings she headed back to Vasser. Life was already seeming somewhat normal to the Gummers.

***

Don was in the den with his leg up when his wife came in with some snacks and drinks. "There you are."

"I was just getting some snacks." Meryl smiled as she sat the tray down and kissed his lips. "I'm famished."

Don was so happy to see her eating more; he knew the weight that was lifted off both of their shoulders was already doing her a world of good. "Those babies are milk drinking machines."

"And I feel like a milk producing machine." Meryl laughed as she sat down next to him.

Don picked up a piece of cheese and placed it in her mouth. "Then you need to eat."

"I also need to go grocery shopping." Meryl laughed. "While we have lots of meals; we don't have much in the way of produce and snacks and drinks."

Don looked at her like she was crazy. "Darl, you can't drive. Besides, you can't lift more than one baby. You still haven't been released. Which means you can't carry bags of groceries."

"I don't really want bother the kids with this." Meryl said thinking.

Don shook his head. "We will order whatever you want; and have it delivered since I can't drive or carry groceries either. I mean it, Meryl, you are still healing. What good is this money we have in the bank if I can't spoil you? You aren't doing laundry; thankfully the girls and Mom did it for us before we left Indy, which was wonderful. You aren't cleaning. You aren't cooking-we'll just heat up what we have. We are resting with the babies and each other. That is all we..."

"Don Man?" Meryl noticed him hesitating mid-sentence; and then the look on his face. She started getting worried and cupped his cheek. "Baby, are you okay? Headache?"

Don shook his head as he slowly smiled. "I remember us having a conversation much like this when we brought them home."

***

"You look amazing." Don said walking into his wife's hospital room.

Meryl laughed as she looked down at herself wearing jeans that were rolled up to her calf, an oversized shirt with a nursing tank underneath, a long black cardigan and her Sperry loafers. She was also wearing her favorite purple rimmed glasses he loved and thought brought out the green in her eyes. "Are you sure the doctor said you only need glasses for reading?"