Chapter 27

"I hope you understand that everything we've done here this evening is with your children's safety and well-being in mind." Crystal began.

Adam smiled at the couple. "Your children are very lucky to have such loving and devoted parents like you; how would you like to get back to them?"

"More than anything." Meryl cried tears of relief as she turned to Don. "You were right."

Don was inwardly crying tears of relief; but was trying to stay strong for his wife. "Of course I was."

"Don." Meryl shook her head with a laugh. 

Don gently kissed her forehead. "NO ONE loves those babies more than us; or has fought for them like we have. We're not letting them out of our sights again."

"Let's go." Meryl grabbed his hand. "I can tell they need to eat."

Don looked at Adam and Crystal. "Take us to our children...NOW."

***

Meryl and Don ran into the examination room, hand in hand as their fingers were intertwined, where Carol was there with the babies and the doctor. Don immediately took Margaret, carefully, and was kissing her, all over; as Meryl did the same with Brady. Don looked at Meryl. "Switch?"

"Yes." Meryl laughed with tears in her eyes. As they switched babies and she kissed and looked Margaret all over and then at the doctor. "How is she? How badly did my psychotic brother hurt her? I swear if something is wrong I'm going to..."

Don put a steady hand on her shoulder. "Baby, let's see what the doctor has to say. If he has hurt her then he will have to answer for that; I don't care that he is sick."

"Me either." Meryl said taking a shaky breath. "I'm sorry; it's just all been an awful nightmare."

Dr. Thompson nodded. "I understand; and thank you for following protocol. I checked both Margaret and Bradley out."

"Is something wrong with Brady boy?" Don asked in concern as he kissed his son's head as he held him close.

Dr. Thompson shook his head. "No; but it is protocol in these situations. You have two very healthy and safe babies."

"Thank God." Meryl choked rubbing her cheek against the top of her daughter's head. "Her marks? Nothing's broken or damaged?"

Dr. Thompson shook his head. "No; she is bruised so just be extra careful when picking her up and moving her around. If she's fussy while you're holding her then lay her down and let her stretch out. I wouldn't swaddle her too tightly. Have you started tummy time with them yet?"

"Yes." Meryl nodded. "We have."

Don jumped in. "Not long. About one minute periods."

"I would hold off on doing it with her because of where her bruises are." Dr. Thompson said.

Meryl nodded. "Of course."

"Mr. and Mrs. Gummer." Adam Stewart jumped in. "While we are not concerned about your babies' safety around you; your brother is at fault and that needs to be reported."

Meryl nodded. "Not to be hard-hearted but he is the least of my concern right now. I understand he is sick and hurting; but he hurt a 16 day old baby. OUR 16 day old baby. Do what you need to do."

"I agree; and we will do what we need to do on our end to make sure our babies are safe. That is ALL that matters to us at the moment." Don said as Meryl nodded her head in agreement. "Our children's well-being is always our number one priority; ALL of our children as well as our daughter-in-law and granddaughter. What else do we need to do for Mags so that she is comfortable and not in pain?"