Chapter 41

While Don napped, Meryl told everyone he had woken up for a bit but was taking a nap now. The kids wanted to immediately come up there to the hospital; but Meryl told them not yet and that he didn't remember the last 10 months and he didn't need to be overwhelmed. That they needed to give him a little time. The kids were at least relieved that he didn't remember the things they said to him; though they hated that he was suffering any type of amnesia. Liz and Larry said they were going to stick around for a bit; but would be in the waiting room so Don and Meryl could have some time together with the babies as they figured out how to navigate things with his amnesia. Meryl hated that he doubted himself as a father with the babies since they got upset whenever he would hold them; so she had an idea and hoped it would work. She was exhausted after filling in everybody, feeding the babies and the roller coaster ride of Don waking up. She was beyond happy that he finally woke up and that everything was fine between them; it just broke her heart that he forgot the last 10 months. While there are some things she was grateful he didn't remember such as her flatlining after giving birth to Brady; him not remembering their babies and moments that brought them closer and more in love than ever broke her. She tried to focus on the fact that he was alive and with them; everything else would come, she just had to be patient. Meryl decided to join her husband for a nap and laid on her side of the bed; determined to be right there next to him whenever he did wake up.

***

Don woke up in a start. Something was wrong. He was missing something. Something didn't feel right. He lifted up his left hand and he knew why. His ring. Where was his ring? Why wasn't he wearing it? Was Meryl lying? Did something happen between them? He never took his ring off; never. He sat up and put his head in his hands; terrified that because of their fight he had royally screwed up. "Oh my God; what did I do?"

"Baby?" Meryl asked as she heard him talking to himself and woke up. She immediately sat up, rubbed his back and placed her chin on his shoulder. "Sweetheart, what is it?"

Don looked at her with tears in his eyes. "Tell me the truth."

"Always, Don Man." Meryl said in shock. "What is it, baby?"

Don took her left hand in his. "Are we really alright? Did something happen between us?"

"We are perfect. We have never been closer or more in love." Meryl said with a kiss to his head. "Now that you've come back to us then we can concentrate on getting you better and your memory back."

Don raised his hand and then hers. "Then why the hell am I not wearing my wedding ring; and are you wearing a diamond ring I didn't give you on your left ring finger?"

"Baby." Meryl choked up at his anguish. "You did give this to me; it has both of our birthstones on it. You gave it to me right after the babies were born on our anniversary last month, our 34th; and asked me to marry you again. I couldn't say yes fast enough. Everything is wonderful between us; I promise."

Don felt bad as he ran his fingers through his hair. "I'm sorry; I don't know what's wrong with me."

"Sweetheart, you have been through hell and you wake up to realize you're missing 10 months out of your life and you now have twins." Meryl tried to calm him as she ran her fingers through his hair. "I have never loved you more; but if you don't remember that and don't feel the same about me..."

Don quickly kissed her lips over and over; needing to assure her just as she had assure him. "I know I don't remember the past 10 months; but I feel the same, baby. I can't explain it. I just know that I couldn't possibly love you more than I do right now."

"Baby, be easy on yourself." Meryl sighed. "It will just take some time."

Don nodded. "That doesn't explain my wedding ring."