Chapter 40

Meryl was trying not to freak out; the doctor told her that he could have some amnesia. Meryl sat on his bed and tenderly kissed his lips. "Baby, can you tell me the last thing you remember?"

"Where are we?" Don asked looking around. "Hospital? Are you hurt? Did I hurt you?"

Meryl tenderly pushed him down; he might be having some amnesia but he was still her Don Man through and through. "Of course you didn't hurt me; never in a million years would you EVER hurt me. Yes, we are in the hospital. You had a pretty bad car accident but are going to be okay. I think you might be having a little bit of amnesia."

"No matter what I do and don't remember I need you to know how much I love you." Don choked as he shook his head. "I don't know why but I just have this deep need for you to know that you and our family are everything to me. I'd do anything for you."

Meryl smiled softly; that was her man. "I know, baby; now, can you please tell me the last thing you remember?"

"I remember us being at the house in Salisbury." Don said as she nodded for him to continue. "I remember trying to be someone you would be proud to be with."

Meryl didn't even bother to wipe away her tears. "Nothing makes me prouder than being your wife, your partner; and the mother of your children."

"I feel the same way." Don said as he continued. "I remember you thinking that I was having an affair; baby, I wouldn't, not EVER."

Meryl nodded. "I know, sweetheart; me either. What else?"

"Everything else is black." Don sighed as he saw the worried look on her face. "I'm so sorry; I'm obviously not remembering what you want me to remember."

Meryl shook her head. "You're doing great, sweetheart. Baby, we made up from that fight. As I said I was planning a surprise birthday party for you which is why it seemed secretive."

"And I was working out constantly to be someone you would be proud to be with." Don explained as she saw the pained look on her face. "Which you just reassured me I am."

Meryl nodded. "Always. Baby, that was 10 months ago. Like I said, you were in a bad accident 2 days ago and that's why you're here in the hospital. There is so much for me to catch you up on; but I don't want to overwhelm you as you've been out of it for days. There is something I need to tell you. Something that you need to know. It's going to be quite a shock."

"What is it?" Don asked letting go of her hand as she went to walk off.

Meryl went and pushed the bassinet over to him. "Three weeks ago we had twins: Margaret Natalie Gummer and Bradley Michael Gummer."

"What?" Don asked stunned as she got the babies as close to him as possible. "We adopted?"

Meryl couldn't help but chuckle. "Baby, do they look like they're adopted?" Don shook his head. "The night of your surprise party we conceived these little miracles. They're almost 4 weeks old, not quite."

"Are you okay?" Don asked in concern. "I mean going through another pregnancy and it being twins and..."

Meryl smiled that his first concern was her; of course it was. "It was a scary pregnancy; and I don't want to lie to you, I did flatline while giving birth to Bradley but you brought me back and made sure I had the best care. They then discovered I was pregnant with our girl and I had an emergency c-section and hysterectomy because there was so much bleeding. We are all here because of you."

"I'm I..." Don stuttered. "I don't know what to say other than I love you; and can I hold them?"

Meryl helped sit him up and placed each baby in his arms. "You are such an amazing father to them; I know they've missed you, but not as much as I have."