Chapter 89

As Suzie was walking up to the stand Don turned around to his son who was sitting behind his parents surrounded by his mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law. "Son, do you want to come sit with us?"

"We will come back and sit with you." Meryl said starting to help Don get up.

Henry held his hands up and smiled at his parents; Don's smile. "You two need to stay up there at the prosecution table. I'm fine. I have Aunt Liz and Grandma Maggie."

"He's in good hands." Maggie put her arm around Henry. "We've got him."

Liz put her hand on Henry's leg. "Besides, I think I might need him to keep me calm."

"She's going to be fine, Lizzie." Larry turned back and winked at his wife. "Really."

Don gave Liz a soft smile. "We didn't want her to have to do this."

"She WANTS to do this." Liz smiled at her friends.

Meryl reached back to take her son's hand in hers; and then her friend's. "We are so proud of her."

"Me too." Henry winked.

Once Suzie was sworn in Mike started questioning her. "Mrs. Gummer, please tell the court how long you have known Don and Meryl Gummer; and in what capacity."

"They have always been a part of my life." Suzie smiled. "First, as wonderful godparents; and now as amazing in-laws and fabulous grandparents to mine and their son's daughter. I spent lots of time at their homes growing up. Our families would vacation together; and spend holidays together. Our family would often go visit them when Aunt Meryl would be shooting a movie in a cool part of the world. We were just one family. Their son was my first love; and is my last."

Henry smiled at her with tears in his eyes as Mike continued. "What was life like at their house?"

"Always happy and fun." Suzie smiled. "Except for one time; and I know Peggy is partly responsible for that."

Larry looked at Don and Meryl. "Do you know what she's talking about?"

"I have no idea." Don couldn't think of what it could be; as he and Meryl always tried to make sure their home was happy and full of love for their children, their family and friends. "Mer?"

Meryl shook her head. "I don't."

"Wait..." Don was thinking. "I think I might know; but I can't believe she would remember it."

Suzie wiped away her tears. "When Kevin Mann took Aunt Meryl and Henry, our family stayed at Uncle Don and Aunt Meryl's apartment with Uncle Don; I now know it was so he wouldn't be alone and my parents were helping Uncle Don find Aunt Meryl and Hen. I remember my Uncle Don being so sad. I remember that at nights when the grown ups would be talking about what to do next in the search that I would go play in Henry's room. Uncle Don would often come in and work on a puzzle or something with me; now knowing what I know I think he was overwhelmed and needed a quiet place to think. No words were said. I just remember my Uncle Don being so sad. I also remember during those days often going and sitting on his lap."

"Why?" Mike himself was trying not to be emotional.

Suzie looked at her Uncle Don with tears in her eyes. "Because I could sense he needed it."

"Really?" Meryl looked at Don with tears in their eyes as he nodded. "You never told me."

Don shrugged. "I kind of forgot; but she did help me smile."

"She's good at that." Henry choked. He knew all this; but was proud of his wife for saying something."

Mike continued on. "As someone close to the Gummers and yet on the outside; do you believe either of them has ever had an affair?"