Chapter 72

"What do you think about a date night tonight?" Don asked Meryl as they walked into the courthouse; both oblivious to who was behind them, alone.

Meryl smiled; and then the smile fell. "Baby, you know how clingy Lou is right now; and I don't really want to leave the girls alone especially if..."

"I meant after they go to bed." Don winked as he brought her hand up to his lips and he kissed it. "A movie? Wine? Popcorn?"

Meryl looked up at him and smirked. "Bath?"

"Oh, absolutely." Don smiled and was cut off from what he was going to say next.

A voice from behind Don and Meryl caused them to freeze "Damn! That ass just gets better and tighter with age."

"What the fuck?!" Don hissed as he turned around and saw his wife's rapist. The man that caused her and their son more terror than anyone could ever even imagine. "Don't you dare fucking look at her."

Meryl pulled Don back. "Baby, I'm okay."

"I remember when you called me that." Mann said sleazily.

Meryl quickly looked at Don. "Don, I never..."

"I know, Darl." He smiled at her though on the inside he wanted to beat the shit out of Mann. "Come on, let's go."

Mann stopped them again. "You have that just fucked glow on your face. Was she a fighter in bed like she was for me? Fuck, I get hard thinking about how she fought and the extra tension that created. How hard her nipples were for me. How wet she was."

"You fucking bastard! She had to be restitched over and over from what you did to her!" Don was able to slip through Meryl's grasp. He was too fucking angry.

Larry was glad he entered the hallway at just the right time; and managed to get between Mann and Don. Larry placed his hands on Don's chest. "Don, don't. Meryl needs you. The kids need you. You go after him and your ass is in jail. I don't know what he said but he is just trying to get a rise out of you."

"Where the hell are his guards?" Don hissed as he glared at Mann.

Larry shrugged. "I'll take care of it. You and M go sit down."

"Okay." Don turned to Meryl and took her hand in his. "Want to go sit down, Darl?"

Meryl nodded as she kissed his lips; mainly to send a message to Mann. "Yeah, baby, let's go."

***

Meryl turned to Don once they were seated at the prosecution table. "Baby, don't listen to him."

"It's fucking sick how he speaks about you." Don choked. "How he speaks to you. My god, he's a fucking predator and they want to releasee him?"

Meryl played with his fingers. "That's why we're here."

"Baby, I promise you he won't hurt you again." Don needed to get this off his chest. "But I'm so afraid of failing you again."

Meryl's eyes got huge. "Failing me again? You have never ever failed me, Donald Gummer. NEVER. I need you to know that."

"If he makes parole..." Don started.

Meryl placed her fingers on his lips. "If he does then I want you to know that you have done EVERYTHING to make sure he doesn't. If he does I want you to know we will fight it together. If he does I want you to know that I never feel safe or more loved than when I am with you."