Chapter 20

Don smiled as he walked outside with his father and they stood under the canopy out by the lake. As he walked out he went over to his brother who had Mags. "It's chilly out here; make sure she stays covered up and her hat stays on."

"I've done this a few times big brother; I do have a few children and grandchildren of my own." Topper laughed at how protective his oldest brother was with his daughter even after doing it so many times and at his age. "She'll be okay; I promise."

Don nodded as he smiled at his youngest daughter who seemed happy and content in her uncle's arms. He then went over to Louisa who was holding her brother. "You two doing okay?"

"We're good, Dad." Louisa laughed. "I have him covered like Mom told me and his hat is on. I've got this."

Don winked as he kissed his daughter's cheek. "Thanks Lou Lou; your mom and I appreciate it."

"I wish I had more time with them." Louisa smiled sadly. "I'll take the time I can get."

Don felt bad that Louisa was missing out on so much with being away at school. "Hey, you'll be home in a month for Thanksgiving and a few weeks after that for the winter break. You'll get lots of time with them at the apartment. Your mother and I might even take advantage of you being home."

"I hope so." Louisa laughed.

Grace grabbed her father's hand. "Daddy, you better take your place."

"Okay." Don smiled as he kissed his daughters, daughter-in-law and granddaughter as Henry began to sing. "It's show time."

Brad smiled as Don took his place. "I don't think you want to miss this part."

"I most definitely don't." Don smiled as he took his place next to his father. "Wow."

Meryl smiled as she walked out of the house and towards the lake where the ceremony would be. Her breath almost caught in her throat as she saw her husband looking at her like she was the only woman in the world. She couldn't get over how handsome he was; and how her heart still beat faster whenever she was near him. She felt like she did 34 years ago walking towards him at their own wedding; like two magnets being pulled together. She blinked back tears when she saw him blink back his own tears as their son sang.

Heart beats fast
Colors and promises
How to be brave
How can I love when I'm afraid to fall
But watching you stand alone
All of my doubt, suddenly goes away somehow

One step closer

I have died everyday, waiting for you
Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more

Don looked at his father and Brad laughed once Meryl took her spot across from Don at the alter. "Go."

"Thanks." Don laughed as he couldn't resist going over to his wife and whispering in her ear. "You are so damn beautiful you make my heart skip a beat."

Meryl beamed as she whispered in his ear while she smoothed down the lapels of his suit jacket. "You're pretty hot yourself there, Gummer. My breath literally caught in my throat when I saw you. I love you."

"I love you." Don tenderly kissed her lips. "Look at our kids from our youngest to oldest."

Tears came to Meryl's eyes as she saw her daughters sitting together with Louisa holding Brady next to Susie who was holding their granddaughter; and she then saw her brother-in-law holding their very youngest then looked at their son who was singing. "My greatest prizes including you."

"Mine too." Don winked. "I better get over there."

Meryl winked at him. "I'll be right here."

"Ready?" Don asked walking over to his father as the back doors closed signaling Jane would be walking through soon.