Chapter 63

Don smiled at Meryl as she kept one hand on his back as he hobbled towards the den. He stopped when he saw the concern on her face and turned to her. "Sweetheart, I really am fine. I just didn't remember about all that stuff; and when I even think my mom is starting in on you I tend to get a little protective."

"A little?" Meryl teased. "I know you do; and I love and appreciate you for that. I just want you to try to enjoy however long they're here."

Don nodded. "I just wanted some time for you, me and the babies."

"And we'll get it." Meryl assured him; and she wanted to make sure they did because she knew how important that was to Don's healing as well as hers. "If it were one of our kids who almost died in a fiery car crash would we stay away?"

Don nodded with a laugh. "Good point."

"Are they doing alright?" Meryl asked as she helped Don sit down in his large chair and smiled as he pulled her down to sit next to him once they entered the den where Don's parents were gushing over the youngest Gummer children. "I'm kind of surprised they're awake."

Jane smiled at her grandson she was holding lovingly. "They have grown so much in two weeks."

"She is going to be a heartbreaker." Brad smiled down at Margaret who he was holding. "You better get ready to block all the boys from getting to her."

Don laughed as Meryl helped him prop his leg up on the ottoman and put a pillow underneath his leg. "She comes by it naturally." Don winked at Meryl. "I'm used to that with her sisters and mother."

"Like any man has ever stood a chance next to you." Meryl whispered with a kiss to his lips and then in his ear. "Talk to them, baby; it's okay."

Don sighed as he laced his fingers through Meryl's. "Mom, I am really sorry for how I reacted earlier. I apologize to both of you. I'm just not myself yet; and there is so much I am trying to remember."

"You are doing great, Don Man." Meryl assured him. "It just takes time; and while I have tried to fill him in on things he doesn't remember I obviously haven't covered everything."

Don sighed. "You can't be expected to tell me everything from the past 10 months in a week, Darl." Don said as she nodded. "Anyways, Meryl filled me in on some things and I am so glad we all are in a better place."

"Sweetheart, you had every right to react like you did." Jane assured him. "You are just looking out for your wife and family which is one reason we are all so proud of you."

Brad looked at his son. "Don, we can't imagine what all you have been through. I mean not just the accident; but you wake up and can't remember the last 10 months. Then you find out you have newborn twins as well as a father you just started to get to know before the amnesia takes over. We want to help both you and Meryl."

"Which is why we are here." Jane smiled. "We love both you and Meryl so much; and Meryl is my daughter. I also know that she is why you have the family you have; as well as being the reason why you have been so happy for the past 34 years."

Don winked at Meryl. "She sure as hell is."

"You didn't need to apologize, Donny boy." Jane assured her son. "But I greatly appreciate it. "We only want to help."

Brad nodded. "I was hoping you and I could have some time as well."

"That would be nice." Don nodded. "I would be happy to put you up in a hotel."

Jane took a deep breath. "Sweetheart, I know me staying with you and Meryl in the past hasn't always gone well but I only want to help. I can help cook and clean and do laundry. I know Meryl needs to be resting as well. Not only is she still recovering from everything that happened with the twins; but also from saving my son's life."