Chapter 54

It was a few days after Meryl was released from the hospital after Henry and Suzie's wedding; and she was on complete bedrest. She was only allowed to get up and use the restroom. Don was actually surprised about how it was easier to keep Meryl down than he thought it would be. Which told him 2 things: either the most recent episode scared her more than he realized, and he knew how much it terrified him; or that she wasn't feeling as well as she let on. Don wouldn't leave Meryl's side other than to do things in the apartment. He would occasionally carry her to the sofa in the den in order to give her a change of scenery no matter how much she protested he was going to hurt himself. Don didn't care, a week earlier he was terrified he was losing both his wife and their baby so he would do anything to keep her happy and safe.

***

Meryl looked at Don as he came into the bedroom and noticed that he was dressed in khaki shorts, a polo shirt and bare feet; the same clothes he had been wearing all day. She couldn't help but laugh at how he was dressed. "Aren't you a little underdressed for the gallery?"

"What gallery?" Don asked as he handed her medicines and water to her.

Meryl kissed his cheek as she accepted her medicines from him and took them. "Bill's. Your pieces are being auctioned tonight. You usually like to go to make sure they're packaged correctly and safely; and to say a few words about them."

"I'm not going." Don shook his head. "I don't need to be there. Bill has the information on each piece if there are questions; and the shipping company will be there to make sure they're protected. There's no reason for me to be there. I would much rather be here."

Meryl sighed as she cupped his cheek in her hand. "Sweetheart, for the past 7 months you have barely left my side. This past week you have made sure my medications are correct, that my heart rate is where it should be and I'm pissing off enough fluid." Don laughed. "We're talking a few hours here. Your art has taken a back seat to me and our family."

"My art is always in a backseat when it comes to you and the kids." Don said strongly.

Meryl couldn't help bu laugh at him. "I know, baby; just as my movies are. There really is no reason for you not to go. I mean, what are we going to do tonight? You watch me piss and eat and read and watch the evening news? How thrilling for you."

"I'd be with you." Don said smartly. "It's always thrilling."

Meryl laughed as she pecked his lips. "Okay, if you won't go for you then will you go for me? I can't keep the art world from hearing the great Don Gummer speak. I'm just sorry I won't be there to hear it."

"And who will stay with you?" Don asked as he could see how much it meant to her.

Meryl smiled softly at him. "I'm 63 years old; I think I can stay home by myself."

"You know that I mean, Mary Louise." Don said referring to her recent complications. "What if you need me?"

Meryl shook her head as she tenderly kissed his lips. "You'll be a few miles away. I will call if I have any problems."

"What if I can't hear my phone ring?" Don asked. "You know how these things are."

Meryl nodded as she thought about it. "Then I'll call the gallery. Someone will answer there. Sweetheart, I'm really fine. I'm going to go through some scripts and sleep. Really. You fixed me a huge breakfast AND lunch. I'm great."

"What if you need to go to the bathroom?" Don asked since he always helped her to make sure she got there okay.

Meryl looked towards the bathroom. "It's not that far. Baby, go. I will be just fine. But you don't have much time; you better get changed. I always make sure you have several suits and shirts pressed and ready to go; so you should have something to wear."