Chapter 62

Meryl was in the shower in their bathroom in the room they were staying in while the babies were in the bassinet in their room. Don wanted to do something for Meryl. He knew he couldn't do much; but everyday he was learning more and more of what she had been through in the last 10 months and he knew how much she was doing for him and their babies that he just wanted to do SOMETHING for her. He decided to make her brunch. It was taking him awhile thanks to being on crutches but he was happy with how things were going. Just as he was putting the finishing touches on their brunch their apartment doorbell rang. He sighed as he went to answer the door. He knew it wasn't the kids; and honestly if it wasn't their kids then he wasn't up to any visitors. He just wanted a calm day in the apartment with his wife and their babies as they all got used to be home. He hoped he could get rid of whoever it was. He wasn't prepared for who he would find on the other side of the door when he opened it. "Mom? Dad?"

"What are you doing up on your feet? You just had your femur put back together. Where is Meryl?" Jane asked. "You shouldn't be up and answering the door."

Don gave his mother a look after he hugged his parents. "Meryl is in the shower; and getting dressed."

"You look good, son." Brad kissed his son's cheek. "Thank God you're okay. Thank God for Meryl."

Don couldn't help but smile. "I say that last one all the time."

"We know you do." Brad smiled. "We didn't mean for you to have to get up."

Don shook his head. "I was working on something in the kitchen. What are you doing here? I mean, I know Meryl has been keeping you updated. We're all fine. There was no reason for you to come out here."

"I'm glad you're all okay; but my son was in a car accident and could have died." Jane said as Don let her and Brad into the entry way. "We weren't just going to sit by and do nothing; I had to come and make sure you were okay. That you were getting the care you need."

That was it for Don. "That's fucking it! I didn't ask you to come here. I don't want you here, Mom!"

"Don!" Brad was shocked; that wasn't his son he knew and loved so much. "We are both just concerned about you."

Don sighed. "Which I appreciate; but what about my wife and our babies? You haven't even asked about them; which is so damn typical for you. Yeah, you know the woman that pulled my body from a fiery car crash which in turn caused her stitches to tear open; and our babies that are barely a month old that have been through hell as well. You know, them!"

"Brad?" Meryl asked walking in. "Jane?" Meryl hugged her in-laws. "What are you doing here? Ummm...we're staying in our room down here but you're welcome to stay upstairs."

Don shook his head. "NO."

"No?" Meryl asked as she ran her hand over Don's cheek; she could tell something was wrong with her husband. "Don Man, are you okay? What's going on?"

Don shook his head. "I'm done. I should have put my foot down a long time ago but I am now. Mom, you don't barge into my wife's home and insult her."

Jane shook her head. "Don, I..."

"You insinuated that I wasn't being taken care of. That you didn't know what was going on; when Meryl has constantly kept you updated. My wife has been through hell and the last thing in the world she needs is you breathing down her neck; and critiquing every fucking move she makes which you ALWAYS do when you're here. She needs rest. She needs peace. Whenever you are here you treat her like fucking shit!" Don exploded.

Meryl now realized he didn't remember the great strides they all took; and that Jane had apologized so many times to Meryl. "Baby, she..."

"I am not letting you send her to the fucking hospital like you did last Thanksgiving and New Years before that. NO!" Don yelled. "Thanks for coming but you're not welcome!"