three: reservation

three: reservation

"So, how was class today?" Niall asks much later that day, sitting across from his husband in a crowded restaurant at the table just past the kitchen. It wasn't the best seat in the house and Niall was really hoping that wasn't the reason why Harry wasn't talking as much as usual. Harry's picking at his food, looking completely disinterested in everything that was going on around him. 

"Good." Is all Harry says, earning a sigh from Niall who flinches when a waiter walks out the kitchen door which just about hits him. Niall didn't want to address the elephant in the room, honestly thinking that a nice night out on the town was going to be enough to make Harry forget all about the baby idea...

But it was clear Harry was upset and Niall didn't want that. 

"I'm sorry about last night... I shouldn't have reacted like I did." Niall finally says, thinking maybe that's what Harry wanted... but Harry just nods his head and continues to push his food around his plate. 

"Did I do something else to upset you? You've been... You've been very..." Niall trails off, unable to think of the actual word he was looking for. Harry finally looks up from his plate and at his husband, quirking an eyebrow as Niall stares at him. 

"Despondent?" Harry offers, earning a nod from Niall. 

"What's going on, H?" Niall asks, reaching across the table to grab Harry's hand but Harry pulls it away before he gets the chance to. Niall feels his heart deflate at that, the nagging feeling in the back of his head telling him Harry was upset hitting him even stronger now.

"It's nothing, Niall. Just forget it." Harry says, not wanting to end up in a fight in the middle of a crowded restaurant.

"Clearly it's something if you won't even let me touch you..." Niall says and Harry lets out what he feels to be one his longest sighs ever. Harry didn't want to start a fight, he really didn't but it was clear that Niall wasn't about to let the conversation go. So Harry asks the one question that had been on his mind all day.

"Why don't you want a baby?" Harry asks, the question lingering in the air for far longer than it should've.

"Why... Why do you want a baby?" Niall asks instead of answering, once again finding himself in a spot he didn't want to be in.

"Because I just do, Niall. It's the next step in our relationship and I think we're ready. We've got stable jobs, we've got two extra rooms in our flat and I just... I feel like there's something missing." Harry admits, looking a little sheepishly at his husband who still appeared to be at a loss for words.

"Why don't we start with a dog first? Why do we have to jump straight to the baby?" Niall asks, hoping that maybe Harry would accept a compromise like he had the last time they had this conversation nearly ten months ago.

Harry had promised he'd wait another year, clearly Harry didn't want to keep that promise. Niall felt that was a bit unfair, but of course he wasn't going to voice that. The last thing he needed was for yet another thing for Harry to hate him for. 

"I don't want a dog, Niall." Harry says, trying his best not to get annoyed but Niall was really trying to get on his nerves tonight. 

"Well I don't want a baby." Niall says and Harry lets out a very long sigh. He puts his fork down on his plate, no longer interested in his food whatsoever. Harry folds his arms across his chest, leaning back in his chair as he looks across the table at his husband who looked like a deer caught in headlights. The expression on Harry's face was one that Niall didn't see often, but when he did, he always regretted opening his mouth in the first place. 

"Why? Give me one good reason why we shouldn't have a baby right now." Harry says and Niall takes far longer than he would've liked to respond. He could think of only one reason, but Niall knew that wasn't going to be good enough for Harry. 

He just didn't want a baby. 

"I just don-" Niall starts to say only to have Harry's phone start to ring. Niall recognizes the ringtone instantly, rolling his eyes as it's Liam calling. Niall didn't have anything against Liam, they were actually pretty good friends, but Harry would drop anything to be at his best friend's side.

Even when they were in the middle of a discussion. 

"Hey Li, what's up?" Harry answers it after the second ring, holding up his finger when Niall lets out a sigh. Niall waits somewhat impatiently for Harry to finish up his call, perking up in his chair when Harry practically jumps out of his. 

"Oh my god! We're on our way. Which hospital?" Harry is asking frantically, grabbing his coat as Niall signals for their waiter. It was clear their argument was going to have to take a backseat this evening and Niall was honestly okay with that right about now. Once Niall gets their check paid, the young couple is rushing to their car. Harry's talking frantically to Liam, Niall only catching a word here or three but it wasn't long before he realizes exactly what's happening. 

Zayn was having his baby.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oooooooooooooooops, it took me three days. 

I've got no excuse except the fact that i'm lazy and i've been tired af. 

BUT THANKS FOR ALMOST 300 VOTES, YOU'RE ALL CHILL AND I LOVE YOU AND AND AND YOU'RE JUST AWESOME. 

so I um... i started writing this book before i made the choice of making this top!niall or top!harry tbh... i figured i would just write what made sense, but i'm curious as to which you guys would prefer so... do you want top!niall or top!harry? 

dedication goes to urienarrybladder

comment

and

vote

connie xx