Chapter 12: The Hum

Yesterday is Camila's birthday, I've been invited to go to their house to celebrate with her grandpa, Ally and Dinah. And now, is the day we have our first game.

I've been excused for 3 class to have a practice of catching Camila's fast pitches. Its really hard to catch her pitches when she lose her control due of arm ache, sometimes it happened during our practice and in miracle she can recover fast. My practice is different because instead of Camila, they made me to catch some pitches from a machine that the school rented for the catchers to have a practice catching extraordinary pitches. Its not hard as Camila can pitch, maybe close enough.

When the practice is finally over, I have a shower and quickly ice my arm and palm just in case they get sore from the long practice. I am now walking my way from the cafeteria to find Camila. Well, Camila and I are now officially couple but my parents didn't know about it just Camila's grandpa who knows everything.

"So are you now a couple?" I know that voice, its Alexa Ferrer.

I quickly turn around and saw my friends with Camila and her friends talking to Alexa.

"Why do you care? Can you just please leave us alone?" Lucy said, you can see and sense that she's really getting annoyed.

"Oh hello, Camila! I'm not talking to you so please shut up!" Alexa said and Lucy's eyes widen. Lucy is about to slap Alexa but luckily Normani held her hand to prevent any fights.

"And who says that she wants to talk to you?" I said entering the conversation, "Hello, baby," I whisper to Camila's ear which make her to smile.

"I'm not done with this," Alexa said while grabbing her bag and walking away with her friends behind her.

"That was so easy," I whisper kissing Camila's cheeks and hugging her from behind.

-

The game finally started, I am now knelling down on one knee at the home plate. As the referee blow his whistle Camila look at me smiling, she do her pitching style and I didn't move my hand, I just place it in the middle. I can tell that the batter its smirking and when the ball finally leave Camila's hand the batter swing her bat and in her shock it landed on my gloves. That's a strike for my baby.

Camila's pitch is getting faster and faster every inning, its actually unbelievable for a junior to pitch like that. We're now on the 4th inning the other school haven't score yet 0-6, we have a huge lead.

Its now our turn to bat, 2 were out and the bases are loaded. I was the next who will bat, I put on my helmet and stans beside the catcher. I sigh and gently step inside the batters box, I hold the bat to its right position and the whistle is being blow.

The pitcher's pitch isn't a joke, its fast but not faster as Camila. If I hit or even bunt it I'm sure that the 3rd base runner will risk to reach the home plate, its pretty challenging.

She finally throw her pitch, I try to hit it but I make sure to hit it out. I do it and do it until I finally found the right angle. I sigh once again and grip the bat harder, when the ball finally leave her hand, I ready my self to finally hit it. I step up and try to regain power, I swing the bat to the lower middle of the area and luckily it fly forward.

The outfielder run trying to follow the ball but I put so much force to it and it ended up landing outside the barrier. I did it, I've got a home run. Crowd's cheer go wild and the school's cheerleaders going loud. I drop the and start to walk to the 1st base going around back to the home plate, I look above the score board 0-10. Our school won we can move on to the next level, we did it.

"You've done so great out there, honey!" Dad said hugging me right after he saw me, I hug him back and thank him.

"M-mom," I said trying to reach her she just hum bitterly in reply, "T-that's victory is for you," I finally said and she just shook her head while chuckling.

"That's school is too easy, Lauren. Don't fool me because I'm not fool!" She said which made me to step backward "You can said that when you reach internationals game, when you beat them. Well I know you can't, your such a dumbass," she added while walking away, my heart broke into million pieces.

Clara's POV (Lauren's Mom)

I don't know if she's my daughter or not! Oh my fucking God, I hate Lauren if its only possible to substitute her to Taylor.

I am now inside the cubicle of the girls bathroom when I hears humming outside of it. The hum is so familiar, its like I've heard it before. Unique voice, perfect rhythm, and the harmony. Its perfect.

I just listen to the hums and when I finally realize it, it hit me. She's not just humming other songs! That song is Taylor's favorite to hum! That song is the only song that Taylor knows! Taylor she's alive!

I quickly put my pants back and flush the toilet and when I open the door, I just saw a brunette who's getting out. I try to yell, but nothing comes out. I was being stunned by my thoughts of my daughter coming back.

I just look at the mirror, she grew up so fast. She looks mature and not that tall maybe she's inches shorter than Lauren.

I quickly wash my hands and rush my way out to say the good news to my husband.

Lauren's POV

I just walk away right after mom walked out, I don't know I just found myself with mine and Camila's friends.

"Yow, Lauren! Check this out!" Normani said handing me a piece of paper.

I look at it and my eyebrows furrowed when I realize what is it.

"I'm not going to sing again, Mani," I reply handing her the paper back, she just roll her eyes.

"Your voice is amazing, why don't you try it again?" It was now Lucy, Yes I am singing but I'm not good as the others, they are better than me like literally better.

"Hi guys! What's up?!" Camila said entering the conversation, well she excuse herself awhile ago and I don't have any idea why.

"Lauren don't want to join this competition," Mani said handing Camila the paper that she hand me awhile ago.

I just glare at her and she glare back at me, damn she looks scary.

"Actually! You and Camila can duet, she's good at singing!" Ally suggest which made Dinah to burst out laughing.

"Humming not singing, Ally," she said still chuckling, I was about to speak to defend Camila but Ally speaks so fast.

"That's because she just sings to the people who's really important to her," Ally explain and Dinah finally shut up.

Dinah look at Camila in pure shock and disappointment, "Am I not important to you?" She dramatically ask and Camila furrowed her eyebrow.

She lean in and plant a soft kiss on Dinah's cheek, "What about me?" I whisper and I heard Mani chuckling at my back.

"Your very important to me," she said kissing Dinah's cheek one more time again.

I just roll my eyes and I'm pretty sure that everyone notice it.

"Just as you know, I'm not stealing your girl and I don't have any intention," Dinah said winking at me, I blush furiously.

"So, Camila are you in for the competition?" Lucy ask looking between Camila and I.

"I don't know, Laur?" She said looking at me and I just shrug.

"If your in, I'm in," I shortly reply and she grin.

"We're in,"