CHAPTER 35

Cody's POV:

It's been three weeks since the incident. Jessica is still in the hospital. She has had not much improvement so far and has yet to regain consciousness. She has been transferred to the normal ward a week ago. Her mom was heart-broken seeing her daughter in this condition. She never blamed me for anything that happened. But I kept on blaming myself for everything. Even if her mom forgives me, I would never forgive myself. The guys and the girls have been so supportive towards me and Jessica's family. They come to visit in the hospital whenever they are free and they never fail to give moral support to Jessica's mom. During the weekends, they spend their whole time here. Seeing me like this worries them and they keep on telling me that everything will be alright and to stay strong but I can't seem to get a grip on myself. While, I was lost in my own world, Jessica's mom came out of her room. She wiped her tears away as she came out. She gestured me to go in next. I looked at my family and friends. They all nodded so I went inside. I opened her door and saw her. She was lying on the bed with tubes attached all over her body. She looked so different. The Jessica I knew was full of live but the Jessica that I'm seeing now looks so pale and liveless. Just seeing her like this makes my heart ache. I took a seat next to her and held her hand. I do this every time I enter here but it's like she doesn't feel it. "Hey there Jess." I said although I knew that she couldn't here me. "Please wake up. Everybody out there is waiting for you just to open your eyes. I'm sorry for everything. This is all my fault. I should've been the one who took the bullet not you. Seeing you like this pains me. Please don't leave me Jess. I need you to be here with me. I want you back in my life." I said as I sobbed. A tear slipped from my cheek and onto her hand. Immediately, I felt her hand moving slightly. I jumped up from my seat and ran to call the doctor at once.

Jessica's POV:

I heard a familiar voice talking to me. Wait a minute, it's Cody. He sounded kinda sad. Then, I felt a tear drop on my hand. Was he crying? I tried to move but I felt so numb. I finally managed to move my hand. Minutes later, I heard another voice talking to me: "Hello, Jessica. Can you hear me? If you can show me a signal or something." I moved my hand again to show that person that I could hear. "Good. Now slowly try and open your eyes." The person said next. I tried my very best to do so. But no matter how hard I tried, I felt like my eyes were heavy and couldn't open. With all the strength I had, I finally managed to open my eyes. At first, all I could see was white. I then blinked my eyes and my vision became clearer. In front of me stood Cody and a doctor. Wait, I'm in a hospital? I looked around me to find answers to my doubt. I then noticed that my body was attached to a number of tubes. I then knew very well that I was indeed in a hospital. The doctor then said: "Very good Jessica. Would you like to say something?" I opened my mouth to try to say something but all that came out was a cough. The doctor handed me a glass of water and I drank it. Then I managed to speak clearly: "What happened? Why am I here? How long have I been here?" The doctor then replied: "Jessica, you were shot. When you arrived here, you lost a huge amount of blood and was in a critical condition that we thought you were never survive. But thank goodness, you did." He said. "You can call in her family to see her now. Just don't stress her out too much. She's need to have plenty of rest. I would suggest that you all come and see her one by one. I'll come and check in on her later in the evening." The doctor said to Cody and left. Cody went out and immediately called in my mom. My mom ran into the room and hugged me. "Jess how are you feeling now? You got me worried." My mom said trying to hold back her tears. "Don't worry about me mom. I'm fine now." I assured her and squeezed her arm a little. After that, one by one everyone came in and spent some time with me. Allie, Cody's parents, Kyle and my friends. Currently Jordan came in to see me. Before he left, I told him: "Jordan, could you please call Cody to come in?" "Sure thing Jess. You know, Cody was extremely worried about you. He was a big mess. You should know by now how much he cares about you Jess." Jordan told me. "I sure do." I replied. He smiled at me before walking out the room. Moments later, Cody entered the room. "Hey." I said as soon as I saw him. "What do you mean by hey? You nearly died do you realize that? What were you thinking taking the bullet for me? If anything happened what would your mom and Allie do?" He kept on rambling and rambling. I just looked at him with a smile. "After what you've been through, all you can do is smile?" He asked me irritated. "Well, if you're done rambling, I could really use a hug." I said. He rolled his eyes but hugged me anyways. I felt him whisper in my ears: "I thought I lost you Jess." He said. I looked him in the eyes and said: "You will never lose me Cody. I will never leave you for anything or anyone anymore. I promise." And I meant every word I said.